Rectal Cancer Community
fishy smelling feces

WELCOME TO THE RECTAL CANCER COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Colorectal and Rectal Cancer, Prognosis, Questions to Ask Your Doctor and Treatment Options.

fishy smelling feces

hi does anyone know what is the cause of fish smell feces would be ?
Hi!
There are some bacteria in the gut that produce hydrogen sulfide gas. Sometimes this gas is produced in such huge quantities that the sulfide oxidase enzyme in the wall of the gut is not able to oxidize all of it and convert it to thiosulfate. This gas has a smell of rotten eggs or fishy smell. You need to cut down food items that contain sulfites. Most of this gas comes from sulfites a person consumes, which is a part of all preservatives. Sulfites are present in all juices, molasses, yellow dye in ready made food stuffs, and red wine. Sulfites are present in lesser amounts in mashed potatoes made from dry powder, pickles, tinned shrimp, cookies, crackers, and readymade pie dough. If you have been taking these things in a good amount, then cut down the intake. Also take a lactobacillus preparation and yoghurt with your meals. In all probability the smell will go. Certain food items like cabbage, radish, turnip and certain meat products too cause a foul smell in stool and cutting down these food items also helps.  If it persists, then talk to your doctor. Other causes will have to be looked into such as intestinal infection, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, short bowel syndrome, malabsorption syndromes, chronic pancreatitis or hepatitis and cystic fibrosis. Of these, IBS often results in fishy smell. You will need to consult a gastroenterologist then. In females, it could be a smell originating from vagina due to bacterial vaginosis. Hence this point should also be investigated. Hope this helps. Take care!
All that I know is fishy smelly stool tells you that you need to take more probiotics and lots of yogurt!
I am having a fishy mucous condition that just started a few days ago. I have been on a new probiotic for the past 15 days and I'm concerned that this is the cause of this new condition.
@paulie42  I'm having the same symptoms too as of a few days ago. I also started on new probiotics. Probulin. Saw my GI and Gyno and they have no idea what's going on. I am freaking out.