Rectal Cancer Community
rectal swelling, itching & stabbing pains

WELCOME TO THE RECTAL CANCER COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Colorectal and Rectal Cancer, Prognosis, Questions to Ask Your Doctor and Treatment Options.

I am a 32 year old woman who has had one childbirth (vaginal delivery) 3.5 years ago. For around a week my rectum has been mildly-moderately itchy on and off but not that often but because this is unusual for me I have noticed it. Today I decided to inspect it with a mirror and about 1/4-1/2 of my anus is swollen. It is not a hard lump but just a swelling of the skin, looking almost like an allergic reaction. To me it looks almost prolaptic, as what would have been internal tissue is very slightly noticable on the outside if I move the skin around. Today I have tried a cortisone cream but not noticed anything yet. I should also say that once about 18 months ago and twice this year I have had an episode of very severe stabbing pain located just inside the rectum that has had nothing to do with a bowel movement. I don't know if that's relevant. Also, what may or may not be relevant is that for around 3 years I have used a "slendertone" bottom toner (one that sends electrical impulses to make your buttocks contract) for around 90 minutes a day! I would really rather not go to a dr for this as my job requires a checking of my medical history and this will be very humiliating. Obviously if it's serious I will go but I wondered if there were any non-serious explanation for this. I did start using a new soap about a month ago but I often switch soaps and never have a reaction.
Any advice gratefully received, thank you!
I wanted to follow up with you to see if you ever figured out what this was?