Relationships Community
Cousin marriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to relationships, abstinence, arousal problems, birth control, cohabitation, commitment, communication, couples counseling, desire, sexual technique, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

Cousin marriage

My marriage is recently over. we are first cousins.We are planning to a child. Have any problem will arise in future?
We have different blood groups. Have any genitical problem to our child?
Yes, if you are first cousins your children are at serious risk for genetic defects. I realize that it may be legal in your country, but it is frowned upon in most places because it places any child conceived of your union at increased risk because basically if you both carry a genetic risk for a certain disease then all you're doing is combining and doubling the risk for your offspring.

That being said, in most countries there are genetic counselors who can look at your family genetic history and tell you what your children will be at risk for. There are some cases where first cousins have healthy children, but you need to try to make sure that you do not encourage your children to marry their first cousins someday because then they will be at an even higher risk than your children will be because the genetic pool will continue to get narrower and narrower. Unfortunately, this is what has happened in history to a lot of European monarchies (notably Spain and France)...because of their policy of marrying brother to sister and cousin to first cousin, the generations got sicker and sicker and eventually could no longer bear children due to genetic defects.

I wish you the best of luck and like I said the best thing to do is to see a genetic counselor. It will be worth whatever money you have to spend.
Yes your child could have serious defects. Like Ashelen said it may be legal where you are but is most likely frowned upon. There is a reason family shouldn't marry. For the sake of that child...don't try to have one. If the both of you are carriers for certain genetic diseases the child is at an even higher risk than if you weren't related.
There are a lot of risks to having children with members of your family.  It's the genes is what becomes abnormal not the blood types.  I would see a genetic counselor before trying to have a baby just so you know all the risks.
I realize this is okay in certain cultures, but looked upon as incest in some others. Genetically there can be issues. Passed on down thru the generations as a result. I look at my cousins as more brothers and sisters than cousins and tho I love them dearly, thinking about sex or marriage with one is EW.
Ha.  We are all clearly Americans.  It is accepted practice elsewhere in the world.  I would consult your physician or a genetic counselor for up to date info.  
Could you be more specific?