Relationships Community
Get nervous and dont know what to say

This patient support community is for discussions relating to relationships, abstinence, arousal problems, birth control, cohabitation, commitment, communication, couples counseling, desire, sexual technique, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

Get nervous and dont know what to say

Hey, im 16 years old and am just starting my junior year in high school. im a pretty shy person around some people but around my friends im not. when im with my friends they all say im the funniest person ever. but then sometimes around certain people im just am quiet or i dont know. theres this girl who i like and shes told many times she likes me to. i cant help to get nervous wenever im around her. i never know what to say. im so self conscious. shes pretty, nice, funny, and knows every right thing to say. i think my shyness is ruining my chances of going out with her. i need to talk more, be more flirty, ect. can anyone help me please? give me advice on what to do. i really really like this girl, shes very pretty, and shes not like other girls ive meet. shes not a hoe, she respects herself and the list goes on. i'll talk to her and shes told me i repeat myself sometimes. i really dont wanna screw things up anymore. please give me advice on how to keep a conversation going, how to be more flirty. Id really appreciate any and every advice anyone can give me. thanks for taking time to read my post.
Advice on how to not be shy around a girl you like?  I think its cute that this is a problem - too often you read about kids on here trying to figure out their birth control so they can sleep with someone... geez.  Anyway, that was a comment of admiration - not to make you feel bad, by the way.  I always got nervous talking to boys I liked, and it wasn't until I got older and was comfortable with who I was that that problem was alleviated- not completely gone, mind you.  So... everyone always told me just to be yourself, so I am not going to say that to you.  She has said that she likes you, so she obviously is giving you a green light.  Go for it and stop being so concerned about saying the right thing (there is no thing) or if you repeat yourself because its only going to make you more nervous.  If she really likes you, then she isn't going to mind- she might actually think its cute  :)  So take heart and keep your chin up even when you say something stupid- my husband did that all of the time when we were dating (still does) but I still find it endearing  :)  

Good luck!
i think this is so adorable!
Man that ***** and I know the feeling believe me.  It is hard to over come, what I finally did was to meet her in a casual environment where we were alone and I just told her that for some reason when I am around her I just get all nervous and can't be myself (I was the same age as you and her name was Donna).  Anyway we had a nice chat about it, a few laughs and that broke the ice and slowly I could be myself around her.  Actually we would good around when we saw each other one of us would do something stupid like drop our books or something.  Anyway worked for me...
Girls are really drawn to quiet guys who just grin.

so basically i told her that i get nervous wenever im around her. that i felt like my lips would trip over each other and nothing would come out right. her response was great. she thought it was soo cute and adorable. im really glad i told her this. kind of a relief. she actually said wen she first met me she was nervous and didnt know what to say. im so happy i got this off my back. i still been running into problems like keeping a conversation going and i still get nervous sometimes but i think it will go away soon. but soo far everythings good. all her friends keep telling me i need to ask her out. but im afaird im gonna get super nervous at that time. its gonna be akward, i dont even know what im gonna say. any advice on that? what to say? anything?
Her name is georgie. its a unique name, shes got blond hair, blue eyes, and the prettiest smile ever. her dimples r soo cute. if any of you would be able to see her. you would understand 110% why im having this problem
extrmeski was right - obviously.  His advice worked!  Actually I was going to suggest the same sort of thing too - I was the shy type too (and still am).

You could ask Georgie out on a movie date.  That won't put the pressure on you to do a lot of talking.  You can also snuggle up to each other if things seem right.  Maybe fold your arms around each other on the armrest.  Just get comfortable without each other.  You can still make comments and laugh with each other during the movie.  (Or freak out together if you are watching a Sci-Fi or horror flick!  LOL)

Just do the research ahead of time - make sure what sort of movies she likes and read the critics columns on what the good movies are.  Moviefone.com is a good place to start.  Just enter your zip code, see what is showing where and when, then click on the titles to check out what the movie is about and see how many stars the critics and other users have given the movie.  (Under the movie poster photo you can also click to watch a trailer.  Go for "480" - the smallest trailer - or the trailer might stutter too much.)

You could also invite her to a concert - be it rock, classical, or even choral. You can watch concerts and choirs at most larger universities and at public venues too.  The tickets are usually pretty cheap compared to rock concerts.

Finally, if you both are on Myspace, you might give that a try.  When I was courting my wife (we were too far apart to see each other regularly) we wrote tons of letters back and forth and we got to know each other REALLY WELL that way. I wasn't nervous or shy when writing because I knew that I could easily re-read what I had written and revise anything that I thought sounded too lame before sending.  Well, you can do the same thing with Myspace - or even through a regular e-mail accounts.  Each of you can write to the other person, in turn, and get to know each other and build a common ground (common interests) between you.

Best of luck!