Relationships Community
Has anyone dated a narcissist?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to relationships, abstinence, arousal problems, birth control, cohabitation, commitment, communication, couples counseling, desire, sexual technique, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

Has anyone dated a narcissist?

Does this sound like a narcissist? My boyfriend makes promises and no follow through. Tells small and big lies. Has cheated on me (not physically). Cries and has a total breakdown when I break up with him, but has no follow through on his promises to make things better. He says he loves me, but only really when I've threatened to leave him. Talks about marriage and having kids, but is totally emotionally distant most of the time. It's making me crazy!!  Last time I broke up with him, he pretended to fall down the stairs and black out. He texted me 27 times in 1 hr when I was out with my friends. It was insane! If only that kind of effort went into making the relationship work. He seems emotionally unstable sometimes.  He always compliments my looks, to the point of annoyance.  He talks about all the rich people he knows, and loves talking about himself!  My dad doesn't like him and thinks he's a loose canon.  My friends don't like him either. They get tired of him always talking about himself and treating me bad.  He was married before and had an affair on his wife.  He totally blames the demise of the marriage on her.  He talks about how crazy another ex of his was.  I'm starting to see the pattern, and that it likely wasn't these other people at all, but was him. I am planning to end this relationship, but I don't know why it's still so hard!
-9 Comments Post a Comment
Try this...Read your post pretending you didn't write it.  then take whatever advise you would give and do that.  (As long as it means leaving this guy who isn't good enough for you and then making sure all of your friends can be there to support you with chocolate, beer and cosmo magazine!)  Good luck and you really need to get rid of this guy.  Thank god your kids don't know him!
Thank you.  I know in my gut that I have to leave this relationship.  It just always really helps reinforce your decision to hear it from other people who aren't close to the situation.  And, I know I deserve better, but my daughter deserves MUCH better!  I left him a long letter at his house ending the relationship which he will get Tuesday night when he returns from a trip.  I just had to do it in writing to avoid the dramatic scene of doing it (again) in person. I just feel sick to my stomach!!
i just left my boyfriend who sounds exactly like yours lol weird, but i feel better now. good luck, you are worth more =)
Did he totally freak and beg you to stay when you left?  I'm just afraid of all the drama to come that is so hard to deal with!!  And, out of curiosity, how long did it take for you to start to feel better?
ME? lol i just spent an hour crying lol i litterally JUST left lol but i feel better knowing that all the crying i had done isnt going to happen anymore. im sad at the fact that i loved him and wanted it to work and it didnt, but not the fact that he is gone. I know that i will find someone, eventually, that is the person that i will be with forever. But oh boy did he beg. thats the reason i cried. I hate it when he begs, he makes me feel mean, and then he yells at me and tells me i cant go and blah blah blah, its horrible. now i just have to change all my screen names from fariasgirl to something else lol Its good to have a place like this to rant afterwards. So use it lol... Good luck... Itll hurt, and he will beg. But be strong.. the pain will end and you will have better knowledge of what you want and how to find it. Keep in touch! feel free to message me if you want...