Relationships Community
If you love something set it free...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to relationships, abstinence, arousal problems, birth control, cohabitation, commitment, communication, couples counseling, desire, sexual technique, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

If you love something set it free...

"If you love something set it free.
If it comes back to you its yours.
If not, it was never meant to be."

I'm just curious, who agrees with this saying? I have friends that view this as their relationship motto and others who think its BS. Whats your opinion?
I don't know...I think it depends on the circumstance.

After an immature relationship on my part ended, I have grown up and made significant changes in who I am and who I want to be. But for him he still sees the negative things that pushed him away from me....so  now we are basically friends with benefits only I want him to see that things are different and want to get back together... but his view of me is clouded by who I was before. So I don't want to set him free before he sees that I have changed...otherwise i am afraid he won't come back because he assumes that it will be just like it was the first time. You don't miss something you didn't like in the end. It is a very frustrating situation at the moment for me!

But if circumstances would have been different ....If things would have ended mutually and with no negative opinions about the persons character than I would agree with the saying.
"If you love something set it free.
If it comes back to you its yours.
If not, it was never meant to be."

I agree with this.  It's basically saying that you can't make someone love you.  Sometimes love is unrequited.
I think this saying is very weird.   I am a child of the 70's,  but I've always hated this saying.

A kind of funny rendition,  

"If you love something set it free.
If it comes back to you it's  yours.
If it doesn't, hunt it down and kill it."

That somehow seems very funny to me.  Also,  I hate "Love means never having to say you're sorry".

Sappy sayings aren't my thing,  I guess.

I completely agree with you, the saying "Love means never having to say you're sorry" is a bunch of BS! Damn straight I'm saying I'm sorry if I love someone otherwise I'd be an A-Hole
i agree with it, that is basicly me and my husband history in the past.
I like it  jo
I do like this saying, but there's a part of me that thinks if you let something go someone else can come & take it over (that goes both ways, for the one that was let go as well as the one who did the letting go)  Although I like this saying, it tends to make me feel sad.
I also think that sometimes people come back that weren't meant to be so I don't quite agree with this.  

You can't make someone love you if they don't have it in them to love you.  That's true for sure.  
BS. It might work in a controlled environment of subsequent life experiences maybe. What about people who leave, *happen* to find nothing or no one else, and come back because they've settled for an easy choice? There are people who might leave, find something temporarily better, and once the honeymoon is over, realize they miss what they had more than what they have now. How long are you supposed to wait around for "love" to come back (if you hypothetically set it free)? Two months from now supposed "love" decides they're happier with someone else, then four months from now the decide they need you again?

Sounds like a cop-put saying to me - it lets you cherrypick reality instead of addressing the reasons behind wanting to "be free" in the first place. I don't believe in "meant to be" - just people making decisions in whatever circumstances they find themselves in, difficult or not.
i dont know. i think that only applies when the thing you "love" is in jeopardy. for example, you could be perfectly happy with someone and there can be no problems. why then would you let someone go? i just dont see it applying to every situation. also, what if the thing you are "letting go" is a dog? set it free? what if it is coming back to you but gets hit by a car on the way? then you'll never know that it was truly meant to be, even though it was. im probably overthinking it, but its not a rule i live by...
Love is so hard to understand, so thats why I agree..
Cause love has a time and place and sometimes that means that you just have to let go, to see that it really is love because it just keeps on coming back to you..
I have been in a situation like this and even though our love is was and is not possible, we keep on coming back to each other and thats why it is called love..
Maybe one day at the right place...
i prefer rock rose's version haha.  
I am at the point in my relationship. We broke up last week as  he is leaving for Iraq. It ***** and now I have to be patient and hope he feels the same...if not, in time I will know! It doesn't take the pain away...and I miss him like crazy...
I hope this is true me and my ex dated for almost three years and now it seems like she I'd gone we are still friends but she is liking someone else after 2 months. But I guess I got to believe it.
I agree with ‘Mayflowers’,  and she spot on, some people just have ugly souls and  i do believe in Karma and what you  give is what will get in return.

"If you love something set it free.
If it comes back to you its yours.
If not, it was never meant to be

If you love someone  set them Free, so you can see if they love you to and if they come back they love you but if not you will never know, only because you let them go,so it's a catch 22.some people need to be reassured the opposite party feels the same way,this would be the way to find out,at the risk of loosing them,but love is always a risk ,in life we take chances a lot of the time with love. We're all different, all have different views and somethings apply to others that don't apply to you,so some will agree some won't. I'm currently applying this motto ,I'm taking this risk,so i believe it ,because i want it to work,so my belief empowers this motto ,an absence make the heart grow fonder ,so set them free so they can love you more and you love them more,when they return it really shows both parties they love one another. It shows they can withstand anything, true Love
This is something you need to experience first to Truely understand the the meaning of "if you love it set it free". Let go is the hardest thing you'll ever have to do. But if you choose not, can you handle knowing you are keeping the person you love most in the world held captive... It's a lose , lose situation.
My opinion:

It's the "Serenity Prayer" for when SomeOne breaks up with You.  It helps You to "accept" that the Other One has decided to has move on.  To "let go" of what is not to be.  It's always good to take comfort from where We can find it.  The "Serenity Prayer" is very good and so is this one.  
I've heard it in reference to sea gulls in prison too,.  :>)