Relationships Community
Most important...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to relationships, abstinence, arousal problems, birth control, cohabitation, commitment, communication, couples counseling, desire, sexual technique, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

Most important...

What do you think is the most important aspect in a relationship?
83%
 (10) 
Trust
8%
 (1) 
Sex
8%
 (1) 
Communication
12 Members voted
Tough to vote because trust and communication are as I see it equally important. Without one then you really don't have a good relationship do you?
Very tough...I agree with Vance. however, I voted communication. Sometimes trust is lost as a result of something that is a non-issue. I.e. someone is insecure and has difficulty trusting, but the other partner hasn't done anything. While this makes the relationship difficult, it's not impossible to salvage. Trust can be lost, re-earned, waver, come back...communication is what facilitates this. Sex is an important expression of communication, but again, to ME...it all comes back to communication.
I voted for Trust, it was between that and communication.
Voted for sex. Sorry i had to do it and be different! lol! Great sex is great communication is great trust.
...in a perfect world... Vance. ;-)
I think Trust. Without trust you can't have a relationship.
I agree that it is a toss up between trust and communication and vote trust.  Reason being that even if there is a 'miscommunication' that I'd still trust my partner.  Then we could communicate and iron out what we were confused on.

Womanontop---------  sex in a relationship is usually a barometer as to how the other aspects are going in a relationship.  No relationship will survive with just great sex but relationships can work on issues (communication and trust) and get better leading to great sex.  In studies done, while intimacy is important, sex rates pretty low as to what kept 'long term couples' together.  But I do agree that sex is important in a relationship and one of the things that makes it special.
sweetpea--------- great poll.  

And my above comments weren't meant as absolutes for all people.  Everyone has to value what they see as most important in their own relationship----------  no absolutes in that, right?
Good point, Kay. Not to throw a monkey wrench in though....if you miscommunicate, without GOOD communication, trust begins to fall apart. That's why I still think communication...with communication, you can rebuild, establish, or strengthen trust...and sex is a form of communication. It really seems like the fundamental base of a relationship.  Relationships begin with communication - no trust is established immediately. Trust is built through communication...see what I mean? anyway..love the post, sweetpea.
Compatibility, trust, communication, and then sex. Without the other three sex stinks.
I was just curious to see everyone's opinions. I won't say there is a right or wrong answer here, this is just your view on what is important to you in a relationship.

I do see a couple other people who also voted trust as the number one, which is what I believe as well. If I can't trust my partner, than we really don't have a relationship. Without trust, I would never open up to him and communicate well with him. Also, if the communication is built on lies, then you really can't get any where with commuication because you never know if what they say is true or if they actually mean it. Which is why I would say trust is an absolute must for me.
TRUST!
Without TRUST, you can't have truthful & honest communication.

Without communication, sex is just that... sex (and not love-making or intimate).

Anyone can just have sex, but it takes much, much more to truly have intimacy.

TRUST... definitely Trust.
I think trust and communication go hand in hand in a relationship.  I don't feel as if you can have one and not the other.  Being able to tell your partner all of your thoughts, dreams, and opinions makes for a stronger relationship and the bond of trust is the glue that holds it all together.

I think that sex is just sex, unless you are having sex with your partner.  Having sex with the person you trust the most and communicate the most with makes everything better.

Trust and communication I give as equals, and the sex follows them.