Relationships Community
Suffer from Bipolar but miss being with someone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to relationships, abstinence, arousal problems, birth control, cohabitation, commitment, communication, couples counseling, desire, sexual technique, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

I'd really like to start dating again. Was married for 18 years and it ended a bit over 2 years ago. I have Bipolar and can't imagine any normal person on match.com, etc. wanting to be with me. I have a real profile on there and women send me messages. I'm fine chatting online but the depression part of the disorder takes over my confidence. Are there any dating sites for people with mental illness? :-(
Tags: dating
Hm.  Well, first, let me tell you that you are not alone.  One in every 4 adults suffer from 'something' mental health related.  That's right, one in every four adults takes an antidepresssent for depression or anxiety (two most common issues).  So, don't feel like you are the only one who struggles.  Are you doing what you need to do for your mental health?  Taking medication regularly and on time?  Keeping appts. with the psych and or psychologist??  This is critical to maintaining bipolar symptoms.

Now, I'll tell ya-----------  I am not a fan of on line dating.  Yes, it is convenient and in theory, it seems like it would work as do a lot of dating services.  However, it can be hard.  The same issues of a dating service arise in which one's expectations are not really what the other has to offer and although you see a pic and talk on the phone, you don't get a true sense of who someone is until you meet them in person.  And it can be crushing if they don't like you and you don't like them after investing time on the phone/computer.  
I'm a much bigger fan of meeting someone in a more natural way----  doing things you like and through people you know.  Do you have any hobbies or interests that puts you in contact with others??  Things like races (walking, biking, running------  all worthy and time consuming to train for and many places have groups that get together to train together --  check bike shops, running shoe spots --  especially any local ones and not big chains.  Most cities have these).  If you like to read, join a book club, wine, join a wine tasting group, take a class in something you are interested in, join a gym, volunteer, join a political campaign, etc.  Then you automatically have something in common with someone and there is no awkward first date as you've gotten to know them a little bit prior to that.

But, okay--------  many people do meet on dating sites.  Don't disclose any issues------  just work to keep your issues in tact.  And when you get close to someone and are at the stage of 'telling them everything' you can tell them about the struggles you have had.  then you get to hear about the one's they've had.  Best of luck to you!
Well, I wouldn't say there aren't any people with mental issues on Match.com.  Mental illness is alot more rampant than you think as Specialmon has pointed out.  

Hmm....you state you have a profile on there already and some women are responding so try talking with them and see how that goes.  Try goggling dating web sites for people with mental illnesses and see what comes up.  

Even if you meet someone on the internet, sooner or later you may get to a point she will want to meet you in person.  

As Specialmom asked....are you managing your symptoms?  Are you seeing a Psychiatrist or Psychologist regularly?  I would consult him/her about his/her thoughts about how to overcome this depression taking over your confidence when it comes to trying to date.  

We all have our "shortcomings" and issues and I am sure someone will accept you JUST as you are.  I don't think it matters what website you use to find that special person.  

I do wish you all the best with this.  

I dont see bi polarism so much as a mental illness as much as a disorder that can be controlled with medication and education. Advertising that you have bipolar may not be a good way to get to know people unless they are bipolar as well. lol And I dont know of a mental illness dating site nor can I imagine that would be a healthy outlet for anyone!

I would stay on the meds and work on the self image part of you. I think its all in your head. And no, Im not making fun.

You control the disorder or it controls you. Start there.