Unable to maintain erection
I am a 50 yo healthy, non-smoking, active (slender) woman. I have been dating a 63 yo man for about 1-1/2 yrs. He is a very kind man and we are extremely compatible. However, he is a heavy smoker, about 20 lbs overweight, takes toprol & lipitor and had triple by-pass surgery about 10 yrs ago.

When we first became sexually active, he was vigorous and could go for a long time to orgasm regularly. Now, when we have sex (only in the morning, he cannot get an erection at night), he is unable to maintain an erection after a few minutes..and then only if he keeps thrusting. If he stops, the erection goes away. I do not understand why our sex life has taken such a dive. Although I,m not sure, I do suspect that he was taking viagra in the beginning, but began having bad reactions (heartburn, dizziness).

I know this is a sensitive topic so I havent discussed it at length with him. He has told me that he masturbates to completion regularly (we only see each other once or twice a week). He says he is happy with not reaching orgasm as long as I am happy..well I'm happy with that, and as a result am avoiding sex altogether lately.

Could the meds and smoking be adversely affecting his sexual abilities? Is it normal for a 63 yo man to have trouble getting & maintaining an erection etc? Or is it time to bring this relationship to a platonic level & move on?
My brother has high blood pressure. He won't take his medicine a lot due to the fact of not getting an erection. (gross just thinking about it). Some medications do cause this problem. Has he ever tried viagra ? It may help. I wish you the best.