Relationships Community
husband's low testosterone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to relationships, abstinence, arousal problems, birth control, cohabitation, commitment, communication, couples counseling, desire, sexual technique, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

husband's low testosterone

Hello, I' ve never used a forum before, but don't want to discuss this with anyone I know.  My husband has had a low sex drive since right after we moved in together (a few months after dating)  He was interested when we were dating, but now that we're married with 3 kids (1 his step-daughter)  he never initiates it, and turns me down most of the time (except maybe once every 1-2 wks).  He says he's always too tired. He even went to strip clubs a few times while we weren't dating (which he is not interested in anymore due to his devotion to me). So, somehow he has lost his drive.   He just got his testosterone checked, and it was 262.  He is 30 and I am 32.  He's in PA school and says that that is low for his age(normal for a 50-60 yr old) and is going back to the Dr. for further testing.  He says it's not me, but I can't help but feel very rejected. He thinks it's a medical reason or just stress (from full time school/money/kids).  I tell him that everyone is stressed, and that he would make time for it if he loved me and was attracted to me.  When he's mad from me complaining he tells me it's my attitude, but then takes it back the next day.  I only have an attitude when he rejects me.  I am not  unattractive to others.  I am craving sexual intimacy.  He says he has no desire for anyone else.  I have researched the reasons for low testosterone, but can't find enough info.   My question is:  if it's not a medical problem for low testosterone, could it be that I somehow turned him off during our marriage, and he's no longer attracted to me?  He says he is, and he's not gay, but wouldn't he want to have sex if he was attracted to me?  After I first told him I loved him, he told me he wasn't sure.  Then he told me he didn't love me and that there were no fireworks. (Although we never lacked sparks and had sex the first night we met (he was my friend's roomate). He said he needed time  I said no and broke up with him.  He came back and said he loved me and didn't mean anything he said, and was just scared.  He is very affectionate and says I love you all of the time now.  But with his lack of desire for me, I can't help but keep reverting back to what he said in the beginning.  Maybe it was true.  He says if that was true, he wouldn't be with me.  I am not self-absorbed, but we are a young attractive couple who no one would believe are having sexual issues.  Sorry about the length.  I've just never talked to anyone about it.
Thank you
You are trying to make this issue all about you, and it isn't.  I suspect your husband is being entirely truthful with you.  Most men would be too embarrassed to even speak with a doctor about this problem, but your husband (bless his heart!) is actually pursuing an answer and a solution.  Please try to take some pressure off him and help him find the answer.

With 3 children, it's not unusual for sex to take a back seat in life.  That is normal.  Instead of demanding sex, maybe you could suggest some private cuddle time?  Take the pressure off the performance for a while as he gets to the bottom of what appears to be a medical problem.  Sexual intimacy does not always stay at the same level in our lives.  The trick is to find a happy medium that satisfies both partners - not always an easy thing.

From what you write, your husband still loves you dearly.  Give him a chance to get back to normal.
I know you must be frustrated but I really don't think this has to do with your attractiveness or his love for you.  He has been very honest with you abt his hormone level.  I'm sure it wasn't easy to tell you abt it.  Remember that it's a medical condition that is treatable.  Why don't you do some research and then you and he can visit the doctor together?  Once his hormones have been adjusted, he will probably be chasing you around the bed  all the time and you'll be wishing for a few minutes of alone time!  Seriously, this is something that is treatable with medication.  It might help him in other areas as well and give him more energy.
My husband and I have gone through this too, and it's tough, I know.  Really the first thing you must, absolutely must realize is that it has NOTHING...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU.   It really doesn't.  Yes,  you were raised (just like a lot of women were, including myself) to view physical affection as a sign of worth, but that just isn't true...he doesn't have to have sex with you to prove he loves you, does he?  Would you want him to make a similar demand of you when you were worried about other things that seemed important to your life?

The reality of a long-term relationship is that lust does fade.  We aren't taught that, instead we get crammed with this over-dramatic television bs that shows passionate, fiery couples long into their middle age, but apply some critical thinking...is that really how you've seen it in real life?  Not usually.  People's sex drive waxes and wanes with time, sometimes in your relationship you are more concerned with other things, and really, THAT'S NORMAL.  I swear to you it's normal...your momma won't tell you that, but it is.

Further, I don't want to turn you away, but saying 'if you really loved me' about *ANYTHING* is passive-aggressive, and you need to cut that nonsense out...imagine if he did it to you...would you feel violated/infringed on?  Realize this:  As much as he may need to change, you need to change that attitude if you want to get anywhere at all.
please have your husband read about proper TRT treatment, many doctors screw men up more than they help. here is a guide thati havve found is the best around:

http://www.allthingsmale.com/word_docs/TRT.doc
MY CURRENT BEST THOUGHTS ON HOW TO ADMINISTER TRT FOR MEN
-A RECIPE FOR SUCCESS-
       --John Crisler, DO

jhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Would he be willing to take a natural suppliment?  Goat's weed extract is good and so is Ginko Biloba.  There are tons of different natural suppliments to help boost testosterone.  My fiance has lost some due to Adderall (adderrall).  It really killed his memory too.  So I am starting him on Ginko Biloba because it is great for ADD and lost libido.  We make love 1-2 times a week and it is healthy for us. However, I am used to men in my past being more physical, but my fiance is amazing so I enjoy the romantic time I do get.  We actually schedule on our calender "love" nights.  It helps us to focus on each other.  He is 22 and hates the fact that he has problems due to Adderall (adderrall).  But we are learning to work around it and compromise.  That is what it is all about.  If your husband is willing to work with you then these ideas may help.  A dear friend of mine went several years having sex with her husband maybe three times a year.  Then they discovered that mornings are best for him and found a way to fix their problem.  They now have sex once a week and have never been happier.  So communicate with your husband and see if he is willing to work with you, even if it involves making love without intercourse.  Such as manual stimulation on you, toys or oral.  There are options, you just have to communicate with each other.  Best wishes, Kristen
I would believe your husband. He sounds like he is being honest to you. I went through the same thing with my husband and it really wasn't me. He had so physical and stress issues that was just not making him not want to be intimate. He never lost the desire to be with me, he just wasn't able to. Sounds like you have a great guy and you guys will get through this.
That first comment was a page from my life.  I do have a pretty perfect husband...beside the fact that I he's just not that into me sexually.  I mean he's about 1 every ten days.  And frankly i think he does it because i nag.  He loves giving me kisses on the forehead and cuddling on the coach...But he won't participate in oral of any kind and sex is good, but infrequent and unadventerous.  We found out his TST reading was about low...265...but he hasn't done anything to fix it?  I've just stopped asking.  And feel like this is my cross to bare.  bummed out.
i am 23 and had a testosterone level of 101. dont blame him. and its not your fault.  trust me    it makes you very tired and moody. think of it as trying to run a marathon after eating peanut butter without milk.  very frustrating and straining   get him some testim or androgel
I am 45 years old and have been married for almost 5 years to my VERY attractive wife. She looks like Courtney Cox only better! She is the mosty beautiful woman (inside and out) that I have ever met . I was a virgin when I married her . Yes , that's right I was the "40 year old virgin". I recently went to the dr because I have a low sex drive . (no wonder it was so easy for me to remain a virgin, haha)My wife was always thinking that I just wasn'e attracted to her . I kept telling her that I am VERY attracted to her and that the hugging kissing , cuddling , holding hands was what I desired more than sex . Don't get me wrong the sex is great but I love holding her and cuddling with her alot more. I finally went to the dr and found out that my testosterone level was 209 ( half of what it should be !) The dr prescribed me medicine to increase my level over the next 6 weeks and I am estactic!!!I love my wife very much and am relieved that it can be treated. So to all you out there , it is possible that your husband loves you very much and that it is just a low testosterone level that with treatment can  jumpstart your sex life!
I understand you are frustrated because your needs aren't being met but it sounds like your husband is trying to figure this out.  I found this that might be worth reading.

http://www.medhelp.org/Medical-Dictionary/Terms/1/001195.htm

I do have a friend who's husband started replacement therapy but had a kind of violent meltdown over a too high dosage so be aware.  I've been married a long time and the passion seems to come and go.  
I believe a man's desire can be dampened towards his wife if he sees her giving birth.  Iv even read and heard that some men never see their wives the same after that type of experience.  A man will never admit this and some probably dont even make the relation in their own minds.  Just a thought.
It is even worse when you want to be with only that man, but he refuses commitment of any kind out of fear you will want sex. I guess our relationship of four years is over. He just won't talk, and that makes it even worse. I would have gone without sex a lifetime to have the man he was before the sex issues. Now we have nothing.He refuses to even talk and if I try, I get ignored. I am done with the insecurity, and lack of respect for me out of his uncalled for shame.
I know the feeling. My husband is 26. No kids. healthy relationship. But I am lucky if I can get it 3 times a month. Average of twice. It really does make you feel like you can't even make him want you. Like you have to fight for every inch of attention to the point of tears and aggravation in trying everything you can find in a sex book or online. I think the only thing we can do is try to get the men to understand what it does to us and hope they will figure out how to fix it. God knows we try everything...
It is nice to see that I am not the only one going through this problem, but it still doesn't help me get what I want. I haven't had a good intimate relationship with my husband in over a year and I am hurting....badly. I feel unloved and unwanted. We have known for awhile that this was his problem, but I took it even more personal when his attempt to fix it didn't meet my expectations. I feel that if he truly loves me and wants to make me happy that he would have had the doctor fix this thing a long time ago. As you can probably tell, I am not dealing with this problem very well. I have become mad and resentful and bitter toward my husband and toward marriage. I hate that this has happened to me. I hate the way it makes me feel. I hate that I have cried over this. I am not a crier, not a whiny little *****, but I feel so alone because of this. I can't tell anyone because then it will embarress my husband, so I thought getting a boyfriend would ease the pain until my husband could get himself together. However, finding someone worth it and willing to date a married women has proved extremely difficult. As a result, I feel even more rejected. I know, I know.....we need counseling. Or at least, I do.
I think I understand how some of you are feeling, but I'd like to weigh in on this subject.  First of all, I am a 44 year old man.  I've been married for almost 20 years and have had a wonderful relationship with my wife.  Sex in the beginning was frequent, but then started to back off a bit.  A few times a week eventually became a couple of times a month, which in turn became maybe once a month.... the problem was mine.  I have suffered from a major depression disorder most of my life.

I made a bad decision that almost cost me my marriage, but that mistake sent me on the road to getting help.  Being treated for my depression has made a world of difference.  My wife always wanted sex more than I did, but now I am ready to go whenever she is.  

Because of being treated for my depression, I no longer feel bad about myself.  I have a bit of a better self image, I respect myself a bit more and that allows me to respect and love others better.

The problem that may lie in front of you or your husbands is having them own the fact that hey have a problem and then get professional help for the problem.  The typical male stereo-type.... big strong guy who can handle anything on his own kind of ***** and is often the only thing standing in the way of a man getting himself the help he needs.

Ladies, chances are.... the reason behind this probably has nothing to do with you.  If you cherish your marriage and love your husbands, seek or help him seek help for this.  It made a big difference in my marriage, and I bet it can in yours too.  BE truthful with your husband, be understanding, and I'd bet he'd be truthful in return.
My boyfriend and I have been dating over 3 years, living together over 2.  of course the sex in the beginning was regular (1-3 times a week) but I noticed I had to be the initiator.  He was always upfront about using Androgel and having low testosterone.  3 years later I can't help but feel rejected and have low self-esteem issues because of the lack of intimacy we share.  Now we go months without having sex and if we do, I must initiate it...and sometimes when I do he rejects me so that makes it even harder to try sometimes.  I know he loves me but sex is very important to me and I'm very frustrated.  He goes to the Doctor regularly and was getting shots but they didn't seem to help.  Now he is off the testosterone all together and trying some supplements from 4 hour body.  We've had sex once in 5 months and I just don't know what to do anymore.  He knows how it affects me but still never even trys.  I wish there was an easy solution to the problem.
My husband and I went to school together and 28 yrs later we connected , he always talked sexually we have had phone sex and constantly made sexual remarks on the phone or through msgng, he does have a low testosterone level which you would not know btw he talked , however once we got together and the man I fell inlove with he's not there he does do ttestatosterone gel and there seems to be no difference , he hardly initiates , and always says his junk dont work , whenI can tell you when we kiss deeply there is fire and his junk does eork we just got married 4 months ago and didnt even make live on our wedding night , and all the sexual things he said and led me to believe its just my story and attitude is no different from any other women, you dont feel connected or like he is into you and if when you kiss and things work why is it me that has to make advances all he has to do is kiss me deeply and bang but sometimes when I do I feel pushed away and believe me it hurts me more than anything to feel rejected and if his perscription isnt working why will he not tell the dr ? And what about taking something natural? To bost his labido? How do I know what will work? Sexually frustrated
Why don't you try some yoga postures to help with that. Its well known that some of the postures  such as the bow ( as in I bow to you ) and not the bow as in bow and arrow , the seated head to knee pose affect the male testes to stimulate the production of the male hormone. All the other poses affect all the internal glands and organs aswell for better performance in all areas of life. I can recommend highly two yoga books:

The Art and Science of Raja Yoga - S Kriyananda
The New Book of Yoga - Sivananda Centre

Good Luck
MDBABY
I have the same thing and it's so hard and quite frankly painful.  Not sure how you go through life without intimacy. Quite frankly it's very depressing. I am a beautiful woman but I find my self not even caring about my appearance.
Dear sis, I am a fine 48 year young female who made the terrible mistake of marrying a man with the same issues...worst decision that my naive thinking has ever made.  I fell into the trap of thinking that I was the problem because I expressed my frustration regarding lack of intimacy. He doesn't touch me kiss me hug me...totally self centered.  When I stopped initiating, we stopped having sex. I simply wished I had known that my husband was not going to handle his bedroom business.  It makes it very difficult when my sex drive is through the #%&* roof. Men come on to me all of the time...even just inviting me to lunch but I can't because I always have to honor the vows.  I finally did the forbidden, after 8 years of neglect & abuse and as a result, discovered that I am not the problem. I suspect you are not either.  That whole situation can rob you of your joy, self-esteem and desire to go on.  
Now, I'm sorry about my husbands luck. If he can get an erection at the Dixie Lounge then he should be able to get one at home with his hot wife. It took me 8 yrs to get that! It's his RESPONSIBILITY...not my FAULT.
So, chin up sis, chest out! Get your sexy on! No playing victim! Feel good about yourself, gain confidence no matter what. LIVE LARGE!!!
I am glad to have read these comments, because I myself just don't know where to turn MY frustrations anymore. My situation started right after my separation from my ex-husband (who was so wrapped up in his drug abuse, he totally lost sight of me as a person, much less a sexual being) . About  4 months into my newfounded singleness, I "met" a man facebook who was a friend of my sister, and we connected emotionally really great, despite the 1000 mile distance between us at the time. Our friendship quickly bloomed into something more, and I was thrilled to death when he told me he really wanted to move to where I was, and see if this could be real. The main problem for him at this time was that, due to the economy, he was unemployed; however, he found a drug study testing a new diabetic drug to earn the cash to make it here, and it had some unexpected side affects. It drained what little "T" he already had from his Type II Diabetes, and left him completely in the same situation everyone on this board is describing. Of course, even though I knew I was starting a new sexual relationship already with a "handicap', so to speak, I loved him for who he was, and I was willing to work with it, as was he. And for the first year, we had an interesting, if not typical sexual relationship (creativity made up for what he could and couldn't do). After all, it was about sensuality, not fulfillment. But now.... I don't know if it's getting worse, or if the bonds of our relationship have weaken, but it just seems like he doesn't even want to try anymore. We have an intimate moment between us maybe once every 6 weeks or so.... and even the little acts of affection is slipping...the petting, the kissing, the holding each other in bed....heck, I just about spend every night sleeping alone now, and he is up all night writing (his passion), which he tells me helps deal with his stress. It's hard, because I have noticed my efforts to arouse him are getting worse (and I know he cares, but as a woman, it DOES play into your mind, does he just not get turned on by me anymore?), and our love is turning into a solely bosom buddy package now. It's hard....because you don't know if it's an emotional disconnect, or if it;s just still the medical condition. And in my case, I came from an emotional disconnect into THIS relationship, meeting this wonderful man who cared about me as a person.....but  a huge fear of mine is wondering if I am just going back into that again...or even worse, if my own insecurities may be driving my love into destruction myself. I just wish  had someone I could sit down with, and just ask.....is this normal, and what do I do? Do I give up (he doesn't seem too enthused about seeking treatment, which I highly suspect is mostly financially driven, with a touch of fear of hearing his problem is completely shot ), or do I continue to live in a basically what is now a platonic relationship? At 38 years of age, these are very hard decisions to contemplate.... anyway....thanks everyone, for letting me vent on this board, I needed it.        
My husband is being treated for low testosterone. I'm finding it very difficult to deal with him not being "turned on" by me. He says he feels turned on but just doesn't have the drive behind it. Erections are not the problem at all, usually it's quite the opposite once we get started. It's just getting him started that's the problem.

I don't mean to get personal but what worked for you and your wife in the beginning until the medicine completely kicked in?
I too experience the same with my husband. I realized that he was having a very difficult time within himself therefore it was hard for him to explain what his body is going through.  I love my handsome and decided to be patience, read more about low testosterone, meet with his doctor (with him) and be more supportive.  
I am thankful that I am not going through menopause while he is experiencing this chapter in his life. As wives etc. we must educate ourselves about the changes that our spouses will go through or going through and be more sensitive to their feelings. It took three years before I realized that his body goes through changes that affect his entire being.
.
I've been in a relationship with my guy for just under 3 years we are both in our twenties. He always had a high sex drive but occasionally couldn't always keep it up or sometimes just orgasm. We never thought anything of it then the last year, he lost his job he got very depressed and started having horrible mood swings and we broke up for a few months on his terms. During this time we still met up and normally would end up having sex. We got back together eventually and then the sex slowly stopped at first I found it was only me initiating it, then it changed to even when I did he still turned me down. We argued about it a lot as I felt hurt by it but he still insisted he loved me and found me attractive he just didn't want it. This went on for a couple of months, I eventually persuaded him to visit his doc, he did and was diagnosed with having low testosterone. The whole situation has taken a massive toll on our relationship even though i know now its not his fault and that he does still find me attractive. we are still waiting for him to be able to start treatment but in the mean time i find that his mood swings are worse then ever and he goes from telling me I'm his world to he doesn't know how he feels in the space of an hour. Has anyone else had this issue?
My boyfriend has always had a problem with having sex, and we have been together for a yr and a half. We have sex twice a month, and when we do have sex i get the impression that he wants it over as soon as possible, and very rough. He never has done oral, or touches me properly, it is just intercourse then it is over, and his errection goes as soon as he has finished. I have mentioned his lack of interest in sex to him , and he gets grumpy, then advises that he will see a doctor for a testosterone test (which he has never done). I have all sort of feelings about our sex life, one is that i feel that he doesn't like me as much as he says he does. Another thing he goes on porn sites, so he must have some interst some where. Do not know what to do, i crave for him to have sex with me properly, as i love him so very much. But i feel if this goes on much further i will have to leave him, as i give up trying to discuss this with him, and not getting much response.
Hi there.  You've tacked your post onto an older post.  You'll get more responses if you start your own thread and can do so by going to the top and hitting "ask a question".  

But, I will be honest.  Dating is for a purpose.  We are supposed to judge the person we are with and the relationship to see if it should go to the next level.  Incompatibilities should be considered and being sexually incompatible is a biggie.  NOT every relationship that we are in are we supposed to stay in.  Use dating for the purpose it is intended for---  to find the right person.  And when we are with someone that we have a grave concern with, we work on the issue.  But if it doesn't get resolved, we move on.

So, consider that this relationship isn't meant to be.  good luck
I'm going thru this exact thing right now..... I'm suffering from empty nest syndrome my daughter just left for college.... Everyone told me things would get so much better..... But the case is its gotten worse... My husband only wants to be intimate every 4 to 6 weeks.... I feel rejected I've done everything that I know to do..... I feel that if its not me then he would of got help.... I too feel that it's a chore for him an he gives in when he's tired of me asking for it. I just want the closeness am I wrong? What should or could I do to make this all better? Please help with advise
I have been going through this with my husband. You have to trust what your husband is telling you. My husband had open heart surgery and his levels dropped drastically. He told me he was also tired stressed etc which was true due to low T. He also said he would think of me in provocative ways and nothing would happen which was very upsetting to him. He was embarrassed to tell me that at first. Once he went to doctors and started treatment not only did his libido return but his energy and mood seemed to stabilize. Now when he thinks of me he can perform. He also feels much closer to me because I was supportive and put my issues of hurt aside to help him. Now not only has out sex life improved but so as the normal intimacy. Hang in there font put this on yourself as something wrong with you and help and support him in getting treatment, treatment will change both your lives for the better. Good luck
One other thing to seriously consider and remember low t can be connected to prostate cancer and heart disease. So make sure those are checked as well as his testosterone levels. Very important it affects so much of a mans health. I wish you all the luck and health.
Thank you so much for posting this.  I am very attractive, worn put and co sider my self a good human being. I had to force my husband to go to the doctor and his T levels were very low so he started the gel. Fast forward 4 months and nothing has changed.  Once again, I am the one that brings this up and suggests that he should go back to the doctor. If he truly cared, why do I have to suggest this to a grown man???  I did read about people's success with the injections and mentioned this to my husband.  He immediately told me that this was not an option as he could never get off his job to go in several times a week.  I am screaming inside saying, you can Not afford to Not have this done. Worn it out. This is a medical condition and he just seems not to care saying that he will keep taking the gel which apparently is NOT working.  I am sick and tire of being sick and tired. I am asking myself, "is this what I signed up for". It it was me, I would not stop until the issue was correct.  Listen, my husband is a good, kind man and I love him. But this is just not working and I can't see going another year or few months like this. This is so painful. I feel unwanted, sad and just over it.  Why should I try and keep brining up the subject, if he clearly thinks its no big deal. I mean, he peps up when he's playing fantasy football. I can count the number of times on my hand that I've had sex in the last two years o. One hand.  I am just tired. Life is too short to deal with this ****!
There was a study done which shows men experience a sharp drop in testosterone immediately when they are married, and their testosterone drops again when they have their first child. Interestingly, men who cheat on their wives maintain their original testosterone levels throughout.

No one knows why this happens. There is some speculation that since testosterone can cause men to be more aggressive, that this might be an evolutionary adaptation to help in raising children. But no one knows for sure.
Gosh, I'd sure like to see that article if you could include that in these thoughts sedwar.  
you need to be honest with your husband tell him exactly how you feel,only then will he see how important it is to you and to your marriage. dont scream it inside, tell him! be completely honest.  men will ignore big problems rather than confront them.
the gels are rubbish by the way injections work better but some men will still need an estrogen blocker because taking T can raise estrogen levels to. There needs to be a ratio of testosterone to estrogen for men to get the full benefits. if estrogen levels are to high it doesnt matter how high there T levels go they wont get the benefits. its not such an easy thing to fix having low testosterone, so you need to be patient. its trial and error and having a good doctor.
your husband doesnt need to go in a few times a week either, there are different types of injections used. some once a week some every two or 3 weeks. if your in europe there is one there that you have once every 3 months called nebido. by the way the women that are saying that a level of 200 odd is that off a 60yr old is completely false. the average level for a 85 to 100 yr old is 350 a 60 yr old should still be around 500 so guys who are young with low levels in the 200's must feel awful remember that.
I've been going through the same thing with the love of my life. I've never cared about sex until I met him. Low T so he doesn't care about it.  I can't talk to anyone, I've thought of everything. Even that maybe he's gay. He doesn't even care to take the testosterone. He says it's a waste if time and he doesn't care to have sex. What I don't understand is that he masturbates. Why would he prefer that? He's never performed oral sex, never will finish inside, and I am lost. I could go with out it the rest of my life If I'd never met him. Since I did, I crave that intimacy and have no idea what to do! I've just found a few counselor a and I'm wondering if they can help. We are great in so many other ways, no kids, similar interests. But this sex thing is about to ruin us and I hate it, I cry daily and I haven't cried over a guy since I was 16.
I'm in the same situation I have been with my husband for 10 years and we have no children I'm 23 years old and the doctors found that his testosterone is down and they prescribed him medication but he refuses to take it and it's been about 3 years that we haven't had sex but we are good everywhere else… I wonder if maybe a sexologist will help i bring it up to him but he just laughs it off, This is the first time I'm ever mentioning to anyone outside my marriage and I just feel lost like I don't know what to do, when we speak about it he constanly changes the subject.