Relationships Community
overwhelming parents

This patient support community is for discussions relating to relationships, abstinence, arousal problems, birth control, cohabitation, commitment, communication, couples counseling, desire, sexual technique, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

overwhelming parents

My parents overwhelm me often. I have tried my best to be successful, though everything I do is not good enough. I do well in school, but my parents want me to get better grades. Straight As in college is VERY hard. I was laid off from work, so I hear about that ALL of the time. I've been looking for a job, but unsuccessful. I've tried to act civilized with my parents, but it tends to end in a yelling match. I don't have the money to move out and I don't think I can stay at home much longer. I don't know what to do. Any help??  
Sounds like your parents have a problem...you can't help it if you have been laid off...in case they don't read the papers millions have and many many many of those have not found a job and have been looking for months...did you you get laid off with any benefits, ie, and outplacement firm who can help you with your resume, interviewing skills, etc?  Have you tried networking with other people from your company/industry who have been laid off and see how they are doing and what they are doing?  I have a friend who was laid off about 10 years ago and somehow or other he turned it into quite an opportunity..between he and his wife (who was also laid off) they managed to buy a business, sell it for a HUGE profit, and wound up retiring at the age of 50...

You don't say how old you are...have you thought of changing careers..do you have any interests that may be turned into a business opportunity?  I have a friend who was laid off several times...his hobby was photography..he now runs a very successful photography studio and he best thing is, he doesn't consider it work..he loves it...

Your academic achievements are nothing to be ashamed about and your parents should be very proud of you..my sister got what you are getting from Univ of San Francisco, went on to get her MBA and some 10 years later she is the director of a human resources department for a large firm

Perhaps you can sit down with your parents and explain how well you are doing, the job market is not the best right now and thank them for giving you a place to stay while you put your life in order and maybe run some ideas by them

Good luck

Jim