Relationships Community
saliva as lubricant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to relationships, abstinence, arousal problems, birth control, cohabitation, commitment, communication, couples counseling, desire, sexual technique, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

saliva as lubricant?

Just a pretty basic question, is it good to use saliva as a lubricant or can too much be a bad thing? I know that obviously there is saliva involved in oral sex so it can't be terrible but I just thought I'd ask.
I don't see anything wrong with it UNLESS saliva is the only lubricant you're using for anal sex (then use an actual lubricant). Otherwise for intercourse, there's nothing wrong with it.
There can be a lot of bacteria in saliva which in some cases can promote yeast infections.
I say try it and if you don't have any problems, go for it. Saliva does have bacteria in it and I agree it can cause a yeast problem, but you never know unless you try.
Hi Buttercuppy
Saliva is a not bad alternative.  It doesn't last long like KY, but is ok, if nothing else...  Saliva does have natural enzymes, but I never have had a problem with it...:)  
I wouldn't suggest it, certain STDs can be transmitted through saliva.
Well we are both clean so that isn't a concern. But I really didn't know that before so thank you, I thought STDs were just a genital thing well except being able to get herpes on your mouth.
You`re pretty much right, Buttercuppy. It is mainly genital to genital for STDs and can also be genital to oral infection, for example gonorrhea in some cases, but oral to genital transmission via saliva only is nothing I have heard of so far.
My understanding is that you would have to come in direct contact with lesions of an infected partner`s mouth to be even faintly at risk. There are only very few STDs with lesions in the mouth, I believe a stage of syphilis has it. Also, there seem to have been cases when lip herpes was transmitted to the genital area via oral sex, but any if that with saliva only is new to me.
Just go with condoms and lubricants if in doubt and have fun.
Last I knew there was a reason lesbians use dental dams when having safe oral sex and it wasn't because there all dentists?

Personally as a guy I have never used then but keep in mind that it is a possibility.
Good point, Sam, I remember reading that too almost a decade ago. And it wasn`t in the dental health brochure either, lol. Definitely something to look into - and I don`t mean that literally....
my boyfriend and i use saliva as a lub....and we see nothing wrong with it....im not sure if its "approved" or not..but im perfectly fine :]
**HAVE FUN**...lol
Saliva has a lot of bacteria and during oral sex you can catch or give an infection, yeast infection, etc.....I guess we are all in trouble (lol)...Judy
On certain occasions, I've used it... with no ill effects.
But, I wouldn't make a habit of it for the aforementioned reasons.
that was flatly stupid.  bacteria promoting yeast infections?  yeast is a fungus.  it's actually the GOOD bacteria that keep the yeast in check and prevent infections.  do some research before posting.
Use whatever you want. I'm not gonna say anything because I don't wanna get yelled at too.
And no hairy tounge won't kill ya but i wouldn't wanna have it gross
Here is my story and I almost lost my peace of mind as your saying. Wonder how much test I am going to take unnecessarily.Pls help

First I apoligise for my writings since  english is not my native language.I am an old male and enjoy having sensual massage time to time in a place I know from a girl who get testing regularly. On September 12 , while doing some hand job all of a sudden she spit on the shaft of my penis to lubricate her hand even though there was enough body cream applied before.
Later I asked the owner of the place and learned that her last test was on 22 August, 20 days before that stupid action.

I had no any symptoms described as acute Hiv infection listed here since than but being very anxiousI got a combo 4.gen (Ab/Ag) on 18 dys after which was negative than four more test as at 25,31,37 and 45 days all resulted negative in a lab uses Siemens ehiv assay in their Centaur XP

Am I loosing my mind or what??

Remarks/Comments would be appreciated

What other things can you us?