why do man?
why do guys keep on the same topic when you tell them stop bc it bugs you? but they keep going?
Well... let's not tar ALL men with the same brush... but...

Without knowing the context, or what the topic is, he talks about it because HE finds it interesting and HE wants to talk about it, so he does.  It does slightly indicate a selfishness, or a lack of empathy, not to realise that you DON'T want to talk about it (or to realise, but not care enough to stop) - but I wouldn't want to judge the guy without knowing a lot more about the circumstance and him!
sammy73 has a good point - not ALL guys do this.  If You are seeing this in ALL the men You relate to.....well, You are the common denominator.  Perhaps You should look within - what is it about You that chooses the same personality?
Hi there.  I agree that we should not generalize all men or all women into any categories as it simply isn't true to do that.  Each man and woman is unique and generalizations can be insulting if they are negative ones.

So, for all men and women, there can be a lot of different reasons why they'd do this.  It could be as stated above, a topic they REALLY have to get off their chest.  OR they could be purposely pushing someone's buttons for either fun (they think it is funny to do that or cute that they can get a reaction) OR as a release for their own issues (have a bad day, ruin someone elses).  

I do think that compromising on what you are talking about is important.  my eyes may glaze over at some things that interest my husband but it would be rude for me to not allow him to engage in conversation that interests him.  

However, if he is grilling me on something I'm uncomfortable with, I have to ask him why all the questions?  And then tell him he is making me uncomfortable.  That I'll answer what he needs to know but then can we please drop it??
Hm, interesting point tinkerbell. When we generalize and think it is ALL of a certain sex----  what are we doing to keep ourselves in that box and ending up with the same kind of people over and over.  Good point.
Hi Vixxe, come on now, i totally disagree with this. in my short years living this wonderful life, i would say that women do this much more often than men and if we did a poll on who does it more im sure men would lose.
No one is immune to going on and on about a subject.  And everyone wants an opportunity to say 'drop it'.

Life, I have listened to every minute detail to my husband's work day before which I'm sure is equally as boring to me as his listening to every minute detail of a girls day shopping, getting pedicures and talking about recipes.  

But I smile and act interested as that is what a polite wife does. :>)