Reptiles & Amphibians Community
Corn Snake.

Welcome to the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet reptiles and amphibians!

Corn Snake.

I have a corn snake that is about a month old right now and it won't eat anything i have tried taking the wings off a cricket and feeding it to it, i have tried dog food in a syringe, and i have tried the good ole pinky... it just doesn't want to take anything that i give it...
i wonder what your cage set up is ???you know you need a warm spot ...ok heres some advice.... don't force feed your snake!!!you need to know what our doing to force feed..and even then it should be used as a last resort...keep your cage temp at 75 to 80....you can feed your snake in a small container sometimes that helps....feed only pinkys...it should eat 2 pinkys a week..thats mice.....i'm would think your feeding frozen thawed(is that right?)...make sure you put the pinky in warm water to heat it up to about like 110 to120f....it should feel warm to you....not hot.....use tongs to put the pinky in front of the snake...if this doesn't work try a live pinky...if that doen't work then try a real small lizard...or you can try a lizard skin on the pinky....you should have your corn snake in a cage where it doesn't get to uptight... i don't know where you heard of dog food but stop all that...i'll try to find a care sheet and post it for you.....there is all kinds of info on corn snakes as they are easy snakes to keep and breed...good luck......billy
ok google in                         corn snake care sheet-CORNSNAKE.CO.UK
wow dog food ???????????? i have two corns a rosy boa a african sand boa and a ball pyhon and dog food NEVER MAN AND IM NOT A PRO BUT i have had my snakes a long time NO PROBLEMS   im not rich and they seperate but not exacly heated correct so no matter what anyone says heat dont really matter that much like if you dont want him to grow to fast yet or are are leaving for a while drop the tank temp 5 10 degrees but all always take food and usually very well sometimes ate it right out of my hand and once in a while they like fast for several months but ate eventualy and i hate to say it but leave it a week     or      two my snakes have gone for as long as 4 5 months before yell eat    but here is a couple of my tricks ka  i dont know what you are using for substrate but i always put the snake im feeding in a very small round contianer with the pinky small holes of course and leave him a half hour or soif it dont work try again tomorrow  9 i feed mainly in contianers because i have alpine shavings for all bottem coverage
Dog food? Crickets? Did you even research corn snakes at all before you bought one?

Pinky should have been your absolute FIRST choice. MOUSE pinks, not rats. Who told you DOG FOOD would work?? I understand where crickets may have made sense to you, but no, don't.

buy a FROZEN MOUSE pinky. THAW IT until you can smoosh it a bit with your fingers and it doesn't feel cold. Dangle it in your snakes cage, don't just drop it in. Hold it by the tail. If this doesn't work, buy a live one. MAKE SURE IT IS A MOUSE PINKY NOT A "FURRY" or A FULLY GROWN MOUSE.

Make sure you have a heating pad, not a heat lamp, as it can dehydrate and burn your snake. The tempurature of your cage should be between 65-75 degrees for your snake to digest.

If it still won't eat, you have a number of options:

1. Try small frogs
2. Cut the brain cavity of the mouse open, then refeed it.
3. Mail your snake to me.

Your snake will most likely eat when it's hungry. Corns can live a really long time without food, as long as they have water and a proper enclosure.