Reptiles & Amphibians Community
Sick or Injured Female Anole

Welcome to the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet reptiles and amphibians!

Sick or Injured Female Anole

Help. One of my female anoles is suffering and I don't know how to help her. I found her at the back of the vivarium behind the leaves hanging on to a vine with her mouth wide open and her throat bulging as if she were choking. When I could see evidence of breathing, it looked like her chest was literally sinking in and her stomach expanding.

I immediately took her out, misted her, held her between my warm hands and started blowing gently toward her little face. There were times I honestly felt like she wasn't breathing at all. I kept offering her droplets of water on my fingers, blowing toward her and rubbing her back until I felt she was breathing well enough on her own to put her in a safe place so she could hopefully calm down.

She periodically looks better but her jaws look swollen and she can't close her mouth completely. I'm misting her every 30 minutes or so and put some tiny dusted crickets in for her but she isn't eating.

We have several other Anoles but she was only housed with one older male and he's fine. She did start laying eggs not long ago, none of them were viable – they'd already hardened and collapsed on one side when we found them and we upped the calcium dusting to every feeding for her – both the crickets and the mini-worms. I noticed that her snout was obviously injured by digging to bury her eggs and following that, the area seemed to become quite calloused/hardened. Not longer after, I saw evidence along one side of her mouth of some of the hardened skin shedding and thought that was healthy. What should I do if she swallowed it and is constantly choking? Any ideas,,,