Reptiles & Amphibians Community
green anole with skin discoloration on belly

Welcome to the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet reptiles and amphibians!

My son has a green anole with a skin discoloration on its belly.  It also appears to be slightly thick.  The anole was bought approximately 3 weeks ago.  It was green and malnurished.  After skin discoloration appeared it has mostly remained brown (but will turn green when held).  There is plenty of crickets and meal worms for it to eat.  It eats and poops, but hasn't gained much weight.  It can move around ok. The temperate in the enclosures is slighly below 85 degrees. They get clean water every day.  The enclosure is cleaned weekly - sooner if needed.  I'm concerned about its skin disorder getting worse.  One of my son's prior anoles developed some sort of eye imflamation.  I took him to the vet who prescibed script for vitamin deficiency - but it died 2 days later. So I not very inclined to take it to a vet which probably won't be very knowlegable anyway.  Vets in my area don't specialize in exotics.  Any ideas on what it is and how to treat it would be greatly appreciated. We are caring for it the best we can.  It would have been dead by now if I didn't buy it at the pet store.  I buy my crickets there and for the past several weeks they haven't removed a dead anole in one of their cages.  And the alive green anoles are brown and very sickly - malnurished.
Thanks for read my post and responding.  Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.
Your Anole does not have a skin condition. An Anole is part of the Chameleon family and when stressed can change color. they are also easily stressed when handled. so to be honest they are more for show rather than to handle. the temperature is fine but be sure that the anole has a humidity level of 60% to 70%. you can do this by misting the inside of the enclosure daily. or putting in more plants, or covering top of enclosure more.
i hope no other problems are being had =)