Reptiles & Amphibians Community
snakes and boys

Welcome to the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet reptiles and amphibians!

snakes and boys

My 7 year old boy has been obssessed with snakes for sometime. His interest began at a visit to a zoo where he was allowed to hold a snake.

We have put him off for the last couple of years but his determination for one appears to be unwaivering.

His 7th birthday is in september and the begging for one  is becoming quite heated leading me to start thinking that maybe this could be a real interest of his and that we should get him one.

As an owner of 2 dogs a guinea pig and ducks and hens I understand that children are incapable of providing full care and that I will probably end up providing much of the care.

So if I decide to go for it what is the best type for me to get?He is my middle child,the oldest being 9 and the youngest 4.  His choice would be a royal python,bu would this get too big for him to handle?(or for my younger daughter).

We have also looked at corn snakes,but have read that they are liable to slip  out of his hands.

He is adamant that a reptile of any kind is of no interest to him,so bearded dragons etc are out of the question.