Respiratory Disorders Community
Incessant chronic cough in 9 year old for 3 months

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Hi Friends.My 9 year old son has been having a  dry cough without any wheezing since the past 3 months now. He has been coughing non stop from morning to night but when he sleeps he does not cough in the night. He does complain of a slight chest pain and besides that there seem to be no other symptoms....I suspect the chest pain may be due to the incessant coughing
We have taken him to a few docters who have diagnosed him with mild asthma and he has been onto oral medications and inhaled dry powder(TURBUHALER) since the past few months but the cough only seems to get worse
Have done a food allergy test and have started the food elimination diet. Also trying to keep him away from the standard allergens like dust mite etc
What I immediately need to know is the following
What is the most probable cause of his coughing? I know this is a patient to patient forum but any
Is there any medication to give him a temporary relief from the coughing?(cough suppressants) as my heart goes out seeing him cough so much?
Do I need to do any more tests like CAT scan,allergy skin test, routine pulmonary test, methacoline broncial challange test etc?
My next plan of action is to see both a Paediatrician who specialises in asthma and allergy and also to visit a Respiratory c who is a cough and chest specialist
Any response would be extremely welcome as I am very worried
Regards
My son is also 9 years old and we are starting week 7 of this cough.  The cough is brutal.  Once he starts he can't stop - his eyes water - he gags and it is really dry sounding, but he has no other symptoms...no fever, no wheezing.  He was diagnosed with walking pnenomina (no chest xray) and prescribed 5 days of antibiotics .. that didn't work.  He was given an inhaler - that didn't work.  We tried Singular and that just made him go from crying to wanting to break things so I had to take him off that and now we are trying Nasonex with a referral to a pulmonologist.  He says that pain of coughing is getting worse and he was dizzy today.  

I don't want to over or under react, but I just don't know what to do for him.
Hi Kelly...my 6 year old son has the same symptoms and I have done blood tests, used everything as you described above only to be told he MAY have asthma. My instinct says he does not. I even got the ENT specialist to use a camera inside his nose/throat. SO, I am now listening to his Godmother who had the same cough. I have bought MANUKA HONEY 16+. I give him a teaspoon every morning before breakfast. I hope this works. It took 2 months for his G/mother's cough to stop. Wish me luck!
My 9 yr old son has had an inconsistent cough for the past week and a half.  It sounds kind of phlegmy/wet but nothing comes up.  We've been giving him otc cough meds and they seem to work a little.  He does not cough when exercising/playing all the time but sometimes he does.  He doesn't always cough at night, sometimes he does.  He coughs a little after taking meds.  I don't think he's making it up but it's so inconsistent.  Nothing else is wrong - no fever, no chest pain, no wheezing, nothing.  I just feel so bad when I hear it and I don't know what to do to make it stop for good.  He played all day yesterday and only coughed twice until we got home.  Then, after going to bed and having cough meds, he coughed on and off for 2 hours.  I don't know if he was awake or not though.