Respiratory Disorders Community
Incessant chronic cough in 9 year old for 3 months

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I should add that I am 42 years old.
Thank you.

Hi Friends.My 9 year old son has been having a  dry cough without any wheezing since the past 3 months now. He has been coughing non stop from morning to night but when he sleeps he does not cough in the night. He does complain of a slight chest pain and besides that there seem to be no other symptoms....I suspect the chest pain may be due to the incessant coughing
We have taken him to a few docters who have diagnosed him with mild asthma and he has been onto oral medications and inhaled dry powder(TURBUHALER) since the past few months but the cough only seems to get worse
Have done a food allergy test and have started the food elimination diet. Also trying to keep him away from the standard allergens like dust mite etc
What I immediately need to know is the following
What is the most probable cause of his coughing? I know this is a patient to patient forum but any
Is there any medication to give him a temporary relief from the coughing?(cough suppressants) as my heart goes out seeing him cough so much?
Do I need to do any more tests like CAT scan,allergy skin test, routine pulmonary test, methacoline broncial challange test etc?
My next plan of action is to see both a Paediatrician who specialises in asthma and allergy and also to visit a Respiratory c who is a cough and chest specialist
Any response would be extremely welcome as I am very worried
Regards
I'm not sure what you should do. My nephew was the same way for years, he'd cough so much he'd throw up but it was his asthma I guess. They live in another state now and he's only here in the summer. He's 14 now and I don't think he coughs like that anymore but I know that has got to be frustrating and heartbreaking because I know how frustrated I get from coughing. I would take him for ct scan or x-rays unless drs can come up with something else. They should know the problem and talk to you about it, to ease your mind. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.