Respiratory Disorders Community
asbestos exposure 45 years ago U.S. Navy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I have difficulty breathing, I find myself out of breath after one flite of stairs or taking a shower.

I recently had a CT scan which demonstrated asbestos-type pleural plaquing bilaterally. Many of the plaques were calcified. There were calcified plural diaphragmatic plaques. No evidence of soft tissue tumor of pleural effusion. The pulmonary perenchyma showed no interstitial disease and no findings to suggest a mass. There was no lymphadenopathy. An incidental finding was made of a 3-mm calcified granuloma in the left lingula. The CT scan shows current absence of interstitial pulmonary fibrosis or asbestosis but consirms asbestos exposure with significant numbers of calcified pleural and diaphragmatic plaques.
A current pulmonary function test are suggestive of a moderate obstructive ventilatory defect and in this clinical setting suggest emphysema.He had some air trapping and his ghas transfer is quite well preserved at 100% of predicted, and his oximetry on room air at rest is 100%

I recently had a sleep study done, and will need to use a cpap, my question is, in you opinion, has the asbestos exposure caused;contributed too;or aggrivated my shortness of breath, and my sleep apnea condition?
Will the use of the cpap improve my condition?

I hope to link the need for the cpap to the asbestos exposure.

Thank you