Respiratory Disorders Community
pneumonia and breathing machines

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

pneumonia and breathing machines

my brother is on life support and in a coma, last week the doctors started to whinning him off of the ventilator and now he has  pneumonia? my question is why would he develope pneumonia by breathing on his own the doctor said by changing the setting on the machine is dangerous?
Anytime anyone is on a ventilator they are at risk for VAP, or ventilator associated pneumonias. The tube is a foreign object, bacteria just love that and tend to put the patient at a higher risk for infection. Mind you, I am not a doctor, just an ex nurse so please take what i say with a grain of salt. Anyhow, that would be my best guess as I don't know what his settings are or if he aspirated anything into his lungs that would make him even more prone to pneumonia.
Jenn