Respiratory Disorders Community
2.2 x 3.5 cm RT Lung Mass Found on CT
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

2.2 x 3.5 cm RT Lung Mass Found on CT

I have a good friend who is scheduled for a PET scan next week.  She has been sick for about 2 months with pneumonia.  After several rounds of antibiotics she was still sick with a low grade fever, rt back pain, shortness of breath, lathargy.  CXR still showed fluid, was sent to Pulmonologist and CT was done.  She did not here back from them and when she called the nurse said, "you have a mass and we are sending you for a PET scan".  Since the doctor did not call her she figured it must not be serious but got worried.  Her back pain worsened and when she called to request something for pain she ask the nurse about the "mass" and she said she has a 2.2 x 3.5 cm mass with numerous enlarged lymph nodes, one being 2.3 cm.  The Pulmonologist still has not spoken with her so we do not know what to think.  I would not think they would mention a "mass" over the phone if they thought there was a chance it was cancer. She is 51 and has never smoked.  She did have pneumonia a few years ago but she had a normal CXR a year ago for her anual check up and mammogram.  Can anyone give us some ideas or hope that this may be something other than cancer.  She has a family hx of 2 cousins who have died fairly young from cancer.  I appreciate any input.

Thank you,
Stacy