Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
3 1/2 year Old with chronic dry cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

3 1/2 year Old with chronic dry cough

My 3 year old has a chronic dry cough for about 2 years. The ENT doctors removed his tonsil and Adenoids (adenoids) it stopped for 2 weeks the allergist found him positive for mold and eggs he moved out of our basement immediately (relocated him while we found an upstairs apartment) The cough did not go away his allergist now has him taking Singular and Zyrtek together before bed however he the not give a clear explanation why just said it was common at this age... My son coughs consistently if not given this cocktail... He is a otherwise healthy...No history of ashtma in either side of family, diabetses and hypertension on maternal side... Please help with any feed back on where I could possibly ask the doctor to look.
Chronic cough is a common complaint in children.  This can come from either the upper or lower airways.  A common cause of coughing coming from the upper airways is from a chronic sinusitis.  Getting a CT scan of the sinuses is the best way to make this diagnosis, but this is sometimes not easy in a 3 year old.  Allergy can be playing a role, but is not likely from what you have described.
In the lower airways, asthma is the most common problem to cause this.  Sometimes, a physician may try a short course of oral steroids to see if it eliminates the cough for a while.  If it is asthma and even some of the upper allergy problems, oral steroids should stop or diminish the cough.  It is does not work, other causes should be pursued.
My 4 1/2 year old  deals with the same battle of coughing unproductively. It will get worse and require an  emergency trip if left untreated. And I am still trying to keep from having a steroid burst every 3-4 months. We had her adnoids taken out at Thanksgiving. And now we have another cough that is bad at night but she also coughs at night. She was tested allergic to dust and mold. So, she has wood floors in her room and we try best to keep stuffed animals cleaned. What fun that is to constantly be washing her toys! She has never had a pulminary exam. Should I have one of those? She takes singular, dihistine, and nasonex each day. To get rid of this cough we are on prednislone and zythromax (just incase it is a viral infection in the lungs) She checked clear for a sinus infection thank goodness. I am just concerned with using a steroide 4 times a year basically. Any suggestions?