Respiratory Disorders Community
6 year old with asthma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

6 year old with asthma?

I posted this in the asthma forum too, just looking for opinions.  My son caught his first cold at one year old.  He developed wheezing and was given albuterol in a nebulizer.  From then on, he had problems with SOME colds.  Certain colds he will just get over, but others he will start this horrible coughing.  They have had to place him on oral steroids during this.  He is on singulair, but not sure that does much.  He doesn't catch a whole lot of colds, but when he has one, they last a long time.  He is six now and they got him in for allergy and asthma testing.  He didn't really have any allergies (one weed and 2 trees showed a slight reaction).  He is very smart, but a lazy child.  He stays at home with me and I home school him so he has had me to do a lot for him.  He will not exert energy to pull something open or something of that nature.  When they did the asthma breathing test with him, he was blowing, but not hard.  He did it wrong several times (possibly every time).  The then gave him albuterol and made him do it again.  By then, he understood the process more.  He still did it wrong, but I think his effort was a lot better.  As a result, it showed a 23% increase after the albuterol and they said he has asthma.  I kind of doubt this info.  He had no change in breathing from before and after the albuterol and he is not sick at the moment so he has no cough... nothing.  There is no sign of any breathing problem.  I asked the nurse about it and she said maybe he is used to not having enough air.  If his breathing is that bad though, are there not SOME signs.  He runs and plays all day long.  He has never shown an issue other than while sick other than MAYBE a post nasal drip problem.  They want him on qvar daily now.  I am hesitant to start him on a daily steroid when he only has an issue once or twice a year (this year was twice... very bad year).  I am doing the peak flow with him at home and it is always the same reading (not a good one), but he is not doing it right here either.  He is using  a very low effort.  I wonder how likely it is for that test to have been inaccurate?  Do any of you have experience with placing a child on a daily inhaled steroid even when they are just fine all year around other than a few colds?  Is it possible he can have such a bad breathing score if it was accurate, when he has NO symptoms or no problems.  He moves ALL of the time.  The only issue I ever notice is he clears his throat upon waking.  He does not cough without having a cold, and not at night.  I asked him if the albuterol makes him feel any better, and he always says he feels the same.  He never complains of being short of breath.  I don't want to go against the doctors, but I don't want to place him on something so extreme if it isn't needed either.  I appreciate any help,

Danielle
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. But therapy for asthma is given to prevent the attacks. The steroid content in the inhalers is very low and acts locally, so there is no systemic effect.  Also, Asthma is triggered by allergens, which can be a cold, with a post nasal drip.  It may help to give the medication through a spacer.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.