Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
96% oxygen on abg

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

96% oxygen on abg

I have been being evaluated for chronic daily headaches with vertigo and shortness of breath (while resting and sleeping).  I had 96% oxy  on the abg. and slightly low potassium.  Negative chest xray, pft, echo, and ekg.   Doctor offered me a lung CT, though he said he was "quite sure it would be negative",  so I used that, plus cost and radiation exposure as an excuse to decline CT, although I would really like to know what it says.

Do you think I should do the CT and could this be a neurological cause due to my chronic daily headache syndrome?  Also does 96% oxygen mean my lung function is 4% "bad"  as opposed to 100%?  I am only 31 yr old.

thanks
Normal oxygen saturation levels depend on altitude.  The normal saturation at sea level is 96 to 98%.  At 5,280 feet, it is 92 to 94%.  So your reading of 96% by arterial blood gas (ABG) is normal.  An ABG certainly measures oxygen saturation, but it does not measure lung function.  Spirometry is a simple breathing test that measures lung function.

The focus of any further evaluation should be on your headaches and vertigo.  This is the most likely cause of your shortness of breath.  The best way to know if there is a neurological cause is to be seen by a neurologist.
A 96% oxy is a great level..I believe the norm is 95-100% for those with normal lung function. Some docs are okay with lower numbers especially with people who already have chronic lung problems (mine was happy as long as my O2 level was at 90%) It sounds like your doc has been very thorough in your testing...maybe a CT might give him more insight. Who know's? I bet you feel like a guniea pig right now though...I do wish you luck and I hope you get answers soon. Keep asking questions. -Sunny:)
hi i'm a 30 yr old female who had a chest xray and the doctor said i have an enlargement pulmonary vessel and a shallow on my lung and my oxygen level is 81% it was 86% last month . i dont feel shortness of breath or any pain on my chest . and i like to know can the enlargement pulmonary vessel go back to it normal size and how do i get my oxygen level up i'm a heavy woman weighs at 380 and i excerise 30 mins a day . i'm suppose to go to the doctor on the 20th for some lab work and i am scare of that might turn out to be bad wish i hope not and the doctor going to talk about xray to me i hope everything turns alright whe i go in friday this week.