Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
9x8 indeterminate rt lower lobe pulmonary nodule

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I am a 68 y.o. non-smoker. My CT scan revealed a 9/x indeterminate right lower lobe pulmonary nodule with dependent atelectatic changes in the lung basis.
Could you explain this to me.  Thank you
I am sorry to hear of your problem.  What you describe, a nodule, is an abnormal shadow that appears in the substance of a lung, either on Chest X-ray or CT Scan.  I cannot tell the size of this nodule from the numbers you have provided but, in general, larger masses with rough, irregular margins that show no calcification within the mass are often described as “indeterminate.”  You and your doctors should strive to locate any prior chest X-rays, you may have had, for comparison with the current CT Scan.

The word, Atelectasis, refers to a collapse (loss of volume) of a portion of one’s lung.  That can be caused by obstruction to airflow into that portion of lung, by a nodule.

Radiologists can offer an opinion on the nature of a nodule on the basis of its appearance, rate of growth and associated symptoms but, to establish a definite diagnosis, often requires what is called bronchoscopy, direct examination of the nodule inside a bronchial tube with the use of an instrument called a fiberoptic bronchoscope, the exam usually performed by a lung specialist (Pulmonologist).

I can be no more specific.

Good luck
This should read 9x8 mm indeterminate rt lower lobe pulmonary nodule.
Thank you.  The size of the nodule is 8x9mm.