Respiratory Disorders Community
ASTHMA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

ASTHMA

I hope someone can help me. I have had problems since may 2010 with a condition diagnosed as asthma. When I have an attack my rescue inhaler helps but afterward for several days I feel pain and a feverish feeling in my airways. So far this only goes away when I am put on medrol dose pack and takes 2-4 weeks. I lived for a time in a home which I think had mold. I have moved out of that and have been diagnosed with severe allergies. I am currently on advair but have just had another flareup and may have to take another medrol dose pack. My cat scan is normal. Could my symptoms be related to mold exposure. Blood test have been negative. I am a 49 year old non-smoker.

This discussion is related to Could bronciecstasis be sudden onset?.
WOW, I had asthma as a child, then in May,June 2010 started noticing needing to hit my rescue inhaler, trouble breathing ocassionally, then BAM! June 20th, had to go to emergency care. Took Medrol, & was put on Symbicort 160, 2X daily for about 6 weeks, it took weeks for my breathing to stablize, a few times wasn't sure I would pull thru, now on Symbicort 80 2X daily, hoping to wean off, only need the rescue inhaler (proair) maybe  1-2 X a week, BUT the office I have been working in for several years was tested for mold.  We did our thru a testing kit from Home Depot, and we had several kinds, and had it professionally tested again, same results.  I have to wear a mask off & on. We suspect the black crud in the air handler has mold in it, their were lots of leaks thus creating moisture & mold conditions,  The mold we found includes, Penicillium, Culervia, Cladosporium, yeast to name a few, the Effects of Penicillium,IT MAY CAUSE HYPERSENSITIVITY PNEUMONITIS AND ALLERGIC ALVEOLITIS IN SUSCEPTIBLE INDIVIDUALS. COMMON CAUSE OF EXTRINSIC ASTHMA (IMMEDIATE-TYPE HYPERSENSITIVITY: TYPE I). ACUTE SYMPTOMS INCLUDE EDEMA AND BRONCHIOSPASMS; CHRONIC CASES MAY DEVELOP PULMONARY EMPHYSEMA, Cladosporium may cause COMMON CAUSE OF EXTRINSIC ASTHMA (IMMEDIATE-TYPE HYPERSENSITIVITY: TYPE I). ACUTE SYMPTOMS INCLUDE EDEMA AND BRONCHIOSPASMS; CHRONIC CASES MAY DEVELOP PULMONARY EMPHYSEMA.
So I would mold test, If someone smokes it gets in the a/c and I notice it, alot of people complain of their eyes irritating them to the point of hurting, soar, bolldshot looking, I have been taking restatis for my eyes, now suspecting this is the cause since everything seems better when I am away from the office on weekends, other people in the building complain of sinus & ear infections, so who knows?  One thing that has helped me at home is an air purefier running at night, but NOT an air ionizer.  I just wear a mask at times, have gotten past the comments and since I am mostly by myself, I wear it when my breathing starts to bother me & it seems to help.