Respiratory Disorders Community
Abnormal PFTs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Abnormal PFTs

Can anyone please help me understand this PFT report:  

Pulmonary Function Test Interpretation
"The tracings are reasonably well performed, reproducible and suitable for interpretation.  The spirometry is normal.
There is no air trapping.  The lung volumes are normal.  There is an abnormality in the FEF/FIF 50 of 1.44.  This can
sometimes be seen in upper airway obstruction.  There does seem to be some flattening of the inspiratory limb, and this can be seen in variable extrathoracic upper airway obstruction.  If this is considered plausible, then imaging of the neck  or direct visualization with endoscopy is considered."  I am a 38 y/o female, smoker, no history of asthma.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The report states that there an upper respiratory or an out of lung obstruction to the inflow of air. Like it could be in the neck or at the upper end of the tracheal tree. Otherwise the lung function is adequate.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.