Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Abnormal exhalation sounds.
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Abnormal exhalation sounds.

I have just finished a course of penicilin VK following a tooth extraction.  I am in my 60s and I do smoke pesticide-free tobacco, (but not kidding myself that it is fine to do so).  

On the last day of the antibiotic, 3 days ago, I spent 30 minutes coughing and trying to clear  chest congestion that I had not been experiencing.  The result were small amounts of clear, somewhat thick, white sputum.  The next two days, there was very little coughing, but it remained productive.

Last night,  as I lay in bed, breathing normally, and, I thought, fully, I had two incidents of what I can best describe as air being released from deep in the lungs, making a thin sound.  There was coughing again this morning, but of short duration, with very little sputum. The sound was quite like that made in The Princess Bride film, when attempts are being made to resusitate the "mostly dead" hero.  Emotionally, it felt like "final breath."

Of course I'll be seeing my doctor early in the week.  Meanwhile, apart from throwing out the tobacco, drinking lots of water, etc., I am petrified.  There are no additional symptoms that would indicate this is an emergency, but if any develop, I would go to the ER.  Knowing how smoking affects the body, and that incomplete exhalation is a sure sign of lung disease, I could not help but feel somewhat relieved that "all" air was being expelled, and that my lungs then took in air following that.  (Good thing or I would be dead).

I can't imagine anyone offering some degree of non-serious disease words of comfort, but if there are any, I could sure use hearing them.

Tags: Lung, exhalation, emphysema, Smoking, abnormal exhalation sounds, Lung infection
242587_tn?1355427710
That you would have chest congestion after a tooth extraction suggests that you may have had drainage into your lungs, from the tooth socket.

The air being “released” from your lungs may have been from the clearing of a mucous plug that had, prior to the release, been blocking your lung

What you describe does not suggest a serious lung problem, including the “incomplete exhalation.”  At the same time, these are symptoms that warrant physical examination by your doctor and perhaps, a chest X-ray.

Good luck
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank