Respiratory Disorders Community
Acid reflux and respiratory problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Acid reflux and respiratory problems

About a year ago, I started wheezing.....my doctor said he could not detect it, but I could hear myself.  I have had bronchitis for the past 5-6 winters.  Just got out of hospital with flu and pneumonia, and still wheezing and taking breathing treatments.  In January of this year, I had a colonoscopy and my doctor prescribed prilosec, which I did not take as I should.  A friend of mine, who has bad lung problems, told me her lung doctor told her that acid reflux problems can spill over into your lungs, causing you many problems.  I have begun, religiously, to take my Prilosec. Can anyone who has had experience with acid reflux and lungs give me some infor on this?  I have an appt with a pulmonary doctor but it seems forever before it will get here.    in the meantime, it is cough, cough, cough, and wheeze. wheeze, wheeze, and difficulty breathing.
It sounds alot like asthma. I have a 14 year old son who since he's been three had the same exact problems. When he was two i took him to the Dr. and many times to the hospital and they kept telling that it was just a cold or stupid stuff like that and it wasn't. Finally I threw a fit and they found out he had asthma. He is doing very well now, but for years he had to be put on his machine and couldn't do anything physical. Good luck
Uncontrolled reflux definitely can affect the lungs. If you already have asthma, it often makes it worse. I have both (along with other issues), but I can tell you that if I don't take my nexium as prescribed, I reflux into my lungs which then aggrevates my asthma. I am glad that you are seeing a pulmonologist. He or she will do the works on you to determine what is going on with you. If you are still wheezing and are having problems, try to get in sooner to see the pulmo. If you are unsuccessful, then I would perhaps ask your primary doc to give the pulmo a call. Usually that helps, at least it has in my case whenever I need to see a new specialist and in a hurry.
Sunny
Its right the acid reflux and asthma often appear in the same person.  I have  both.  At this point I have to take 2 nexiums a day and still have acid reflux.  When it acts up it really messes with my asthma.  When you go to your pulmanologist they can do several test for asthma.  It seems that when you are an adult the best way to test for asthma is a methacoline challenge test (according to my doc).  I took all of the regular test using albuteral and they never found asthma.  After the first round on the methacoline challenge test they already knew I had asthma.  After the second they had to stop the test.  It took me 3 doctors to finally diagnose it so be persistent.  Eventually you will find a good doctor.