Respiratory Disorders Community
Active Tuberculosis symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Active Tuberculosis symptoms

I have the symptoms of Active Tuberculosis, which are unintended weight loss, fatigue, slight fever, night sweats, chills, loss of appetite, and muscle wasting. The slight fever, afternoon seats, night sweats, chills occured over two years ago. The unintended weight loss, fatigue, loss of appetite, and muscle wasting have followed progressively.

I have tested negative for AIDS/HIV and viral Hepatitis panel three times ove the past two years. Two months ago, I tested positive for Chronic Active Epstein-Barr virus.

My doctors haven't found a diagnosis and treatment. Two months ago, my medical research indicated I had all the symptoms of Tuberculosis except a cough. I voluntarily went to a local city Tuberculosis and took the TB PPD skin test. I had never take the skin test before. I tested positive with a tuberculin reaction of 12mm.

The clinic TB doctor told me my chest X ray didn't indicate Tuberculosis in my lungs. I suggested to the TB clinic doctor given my symptoms of possible active extrapulmonary tuberculosis, it would require a culture and biopsy in making the diagnosis. I asked the doctor if it was absolutely certain, I didn't have active Extrapulmonary Tuberculosis somewhere in my body. The doctor couldn't give me that certainty. The doctor declined further tests, because it wasn't known where in my body to culture and biopsy.

A tuberculosis skin test can reliably show if a person has been infected with tuberculosis, but it cannot tell if that person person has active tuberculosis or not. To confirm active tuberculosis in an individual and learn about the bacterial strain with which they are dealing, doctors rely on laboratory tests, which are more informative than X rays. A culture and biopsy are important in making the diagnosis in Extrapulmonary disease. Getting a culture and biopsy of the active tuberculosis aids in determining which TB medications have a better chance of working on the patient.

My research indicates a tuberculin reaction of 10 mm or more is positive in Persons with clinical conditions that place them at high risk (e.g., diabetes, prolonged corticosteroid therapy, leukemia, end-stage renal disease, chronic malabsorption syndromes, low body weight, etc). Any patient with a tuberculin reaction of greater than 5mm should receive preventive isoniazid therapy (INH) for at least 12 months. My tuberculin reaction was 12mm and I have low body weight.

Tuberculosis can target almost any part of your body, including your lungs, joints, bones, urinary tract, liver, central nervous system, muscles, bone marrow and lymphatic system. Left untreated, tuberculosis can be fatal.

My abdominal MRI indicats a 3mm cyst on my liver.

My research indicates that liver involvement in tuberculosis, though common both in pulmonary and extrapulmonary tuberculosis, is usually clinically silent. Local tuberculosis of the liver may either mean a lesion > 2 mm diameter on gross examination or a selective involvement of the liver without clinically apparent disease of other organs. The lesion on my liver is 3mm which is > 2mm.  A needle biopsy of the lesion is an excellent method for making the diagnosis; none of the imaging modalities (ultrasound, CT and MRI) is useful because of the small size (2mm) of the granulomas. The histopathological appearance of tuberculosis is so similar to other granulomatus lesions that bacteriological studies are necessary to confirm the diagnosis.

I have been told my 3mm cyst on my liver is too small to biopsy.

I had an exam with a Dermatologist, whose opinion was I don't have skin TB.

A MRI of my throacic and lumbar spine don't indicate spinal TB.

My chest X ray, skin exam doesn't indicate spinal TB.

It is my understanding at some point in time I was infected with Tuberculosis, which is somewhere in my body active or latent. I have the symptoms of active TB.

I don't have a biopsy and culture to determine the strain of TB, which I have been infected with. I haven't been put on a four TB drug regimen.

I have been trying unsucessfully for a month to receive an appointment with an Infectious Disease Specialist.

I would think with the media and public outrage over the infamous TB celebrity Andrew Speaker that I would be able to receive further TB testing.

Any recommedations will be appreciated.
-4 Comments Post a Comment
I was wondering how your prognosis was coming along?

I was tested for TB and had a 12mm positive reading. I contacted TB Control in my city and they had a doctor review my lung CT scan.

I also, concurrently, have pneumonia.and they don't know if it's TB or pneumonia that is showing on my CT scan. I agree that it is an outrage that you aren't being treated...here in Washington state I guess there is not too much latent TB going around because the TB control office lady looked very bored, was very interested in my case, and very thorough.

I recently was diagnosed with cancer of the placenta after a miscarriage in September 2007, have been having chronic ear infections since taking an immunosuppressant drug  called Enbrel to treat psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.

I'm currently obese due to many tries of anti-depressants, mood stabilizers and I have a low thyroid.

I feel like I may die soon and it's not a good feeling. With this tuberculosis I just don't know what next????

Hope you're doing well.

Eisy - 31 yrs - Everett, Washington
I Live in Panama city, Panama.  TB programs here are very strick. You do a extrictly supervised program for taking your medication.  You dont go ... they call you or even come to your house... I was diagnosed Extrapulmonary TB by a biopsy in my lymph nodes  but thats it.  Lately I got a flu (at first they thought it was dengue fever because of the symptoms*** chills, fevers, loss of apetite, incredible muscle ache, etc) but the blood test showed that it was due to a bacterial infection and thats when I started my TB treatment ...a month ago.  I do a 2 drugs regimen and its normal that the pills make me sick to my stomach but im very concerned that i'm still fatigued and still have muscle ache... sometimes not as bad as some other days and it radiats to different parts of my body, usually my back or legs.  I have not done my aids or any other test yet. And the weakness is still there... the only thing i havent lost is my apettite, but the pills do make you hungry too .. at least thats what I was told.... Any suggestions..??? It's hard to get all the info when you go to a community medical center where you dont pay anything.
How could you tell for sure you have chronic active epstein barr virus?  As far as I know, the tests are not definitive.

I was also told I may have it, but I can't tell if it's an overall elevated immune response that causes the high titers, or if it's specifically responding to the virus.

So what ended up to be your diagnosis?

I would really appreciate your response as I'm going through something similar.  Thanks in advance.

So what ended up to be your diagnosis?

So what ended up to be your diagnosis?