Respiratory Disorders Community
Acute Respiratory Failure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Acute Respiratory Failure

I am looking for more information on something that happened to me in my past. I am hoping someone can help me understand this better, and if this was considered acute respiratory failure.
I know that I became unconcious, and stopped breathing on my own completely...turned blue and the people  I was with could not get me breathing with CPR. They brought me to the Emergency room, where I was taken in immediatly (still unconcious and not breathing for who knows how long.)    
I only remember darkness...and waking up so cold it hurt. I have never been so cold in my whole entire life....I could not open my eyes but heard panicked voices all around.  I could feel something in my mouth. I opened my eyes and realized I was in a hospital room....Someone was bagging me, and once I was awake they took it out.
Once I was stable and in there for some time...the ER doctor (very concerned) told me I was "unresponsive for 15 minutes"  and someone had to sit there and pump air in me for that whole time.  I was too out of it to ask what happened....or if anything happened with my heart.  I know they had to give me something to stop the opiates in my body.  
As soon as I was good to walk, I pulled everything they had in me off and I left without telling any of the nurses or doctors....At that time I just didn't care and never thought about it until I became sober and I am somewhat haunted by it now as I am in recovery.
Was this considered acute respiratory failure? and what was the device they used to get me breathing called? and what does "Unresponsive for 15 minutes" mean?....just not breathing on my own, or something more?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be a cardiorespiratory arrest. The causes are Grouped as ‘ABC’, A for airway obstruction. B for breathing inadequacy and C for cardiac abnormalities. After revival from the arrest, the prognosis and therapy will depend on the causative factors causing the arrest. So, it is difficult to predict what had caused the arrest.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.