Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Adult not diagnosed with cystic fibrosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I have asthma usually caused by animals, and i also have scarring on my lungs. the radiologist suspected emphysema yet i have never smoked a day in my life not do i have symptoms of emphysema.  is it possible to have reached the age of 42 and not been diagnosed for cystic fibrosis?

ferret22
The diagnosis of Cystic Fibrosis comes after someone has suspected this diagnosis and performed a test.  This usually occurs after someone has had a significant amount of respiratory problems for a period of years and this testing is part of the overall evaluation.  It is not common to have Cystic Fibrosis and be 42 years old.  There are many other reasons to have scarring on a chest x-ray, such as previous infections.  I would speak to your physician about other possible causes and if you are concerned, perform a test to evaluate for CF during this process.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker