Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Advair Skip a Day

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Advair Skip a Day

I have moderate COPD. I just started taking Spiriva. It took 3 weeks till I saw a change in my breathing, but the results are not as good as with Advair, which I used a while ago. If I stay on Advair (250), is it a good idea to either use it only once a day, or do twice a day but skip a day in between? All of this in order to hopefully avoid the side effects.
The optimum benefit of Advair is more likely to be achieved with twice a day dosing.  The side effects with Advair (250) are generally minimal, albeit real and more intense for some individuals than others.  If side effects are an issue for you, when using Advair 250 twice a day, you and your doctor might want to consider using Advair-100 that, for many people, is equally effective.  There is evidence to suggest that the benefits of Advair plus Spiriva are additive and of benefit for persons with severe to very severe COPD; the evidence less impressive for persons with moderate COPD..  This is something you and your  doctor can approach by trial and observation.

Good luck
1 Comment
A related discussion, alternative to steroids? was started.