Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
After effects of bacterial pneumonia

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

After effects of bacterial pneumonia

I was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia in the right lower lobe about four weeks ago. I had antibiotic treatment and an inhaler for ten days. I had another chest x-ray after the antibiotic treatment and my doctor said that my lung was looking much improved. The coughing has ended, but I still have not returned to my normal energy level. Also, when I wake in the morning, I usually have a feeling of discomfort in the right upper quadrant of my body.....just a vague aching. After I am out of bed and moving around, I don't notice it. Can you tell me if these symptoms go along with recovering from bacterial pneumonia? Thanks.
Dawn
What you are experiencing is consistent with normal recovery.  It may take a month or more for you to feel completely recovered.  It is terrific that the repeat x-ray showed much improvement but you should have another x-ray in a month or so to confirm complete resolution of the pneumonia, especially if you are a cigarette smoker.

Good luck
My doctor tells me I have to be a patient patient after a pneumonia in mid Jan. Its not like getting flu, it can take a good 2 months maybe more to get over completely.
Keep an eye on that discomfort, it could be the pleura rubbing. I ended up with a large parapneumonic effusion. Even after 2 chest drains it looks like it could be a few months before that clears completely.
Thanks for your comments on your experience with pneumonia. It does help to know it just takes time to get over this illness. Mentally I feel like doing activities, but physically my body tells me NO! So, I listen to my body and rest even in the middle of the day.
Sorry to hear of your problems with the parapneumonic effusion and chest drains...that sounds just awful. I pray that you will soon be well. God bless.
Dawn
I'm just recovering from walking pneumonia with partial lung collapse and pleural effusion, it's been three weeks now but even simple things such as talking for long periods and picking up after my kids leaves me breathless and tired. it's so frustrating especially since my pulmonologist hasn't responded to my ph. call regarding these questions. Thanks!!