Respiratory Disorders Community
Air purifier

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Air purifier

I tried using an ionic air puifier. It stopped my runny nose. Then I found on the American lung association web site, that ionic air purifiers produce ozone and can harm lungs. The info on the machine says it turns ozone into oxygen.
I replaced it with a purifier that has a hepa filter. This one is noisy and blows like a fan. Has anyone tried an ionic purifier? I like it better but am affraid to use it now.

This discussion is related to What do i Have?.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It is recommended to purchase an air purifier with ozone-free technology, which has a hepa filter. Many purifiers create ozone as a result of removing odors from the air,  sometimes up to 10 times the acceptable standard of an indoor appliance. The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) and other groups like the AHAM and EPA strongly discourage the use of an ozone generator.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.