Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Allergic Bronchopulmonary Mycosis
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Allergic Bronchopulmonary Mycosis

In my recent post you suggested ABPM as a possible cause for my lingering bronchitis symptoms (flare ups with, or mimicking, viral infections). I will discuss this with my allergist but was just wondering your opinion on whether any of the following issues are consistent or inconsistent with ABPM:

1) Has really been going on for 9 years, some years better than others. So this is not a downward trajectory. I'm kind of up & down.

2) Decreased tolerance for exercise. Even between acute episodes I will tolerate exercise while performing it but after a few days or weeks (if I'm lucky a month or two) I start to feel run down and chest symptoms become worse.

3) 2012 mold testing found low levels of Aspergillus (aspergillosis) Penicillium (?) in my bedroom which they thought was surprising since there was virtually none found outside & I kept an air purifier running in the bedroom. After this, we found & replaced a leaky shower (rot down to the studs). As mentioned, this was 2 years ago. They estimated the shower had leaked since it was installed in 2004.

4) For the past few months I have had to repeat each dose of my allergy shots 1-3 times due to local reaction (swelling & redness lasting 2-3 days). The higher the dose the more repeating necessary. The nurse says usually this happens when your body is fighting allergies but after discussing my environment & the fact that until recently mold/pollen levels have been low in my area (and allergy symptoms not bad), we can't figure out what I could be fighting. My main allergy is mold & dust mites, pollen not so much.

Any insight appreciated. Thanks!
242587_tn?1355427710
Numbers 1 and 2 are consistent with the diagnosis.  Number 3 probably unrelated and number 4, I don’t know.  What I do suggest for number 4, however, is that you not limit your discussions to the Nurse but that you have a direct conversation with your allergist.

Good luck
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank