Respiratory Disorders Community
Allergic Rhinitis/Sleep Apnea

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Allergic Rhinitis/Sleep Apnea

While I was in the military I had a sleep study done which found that I have minor sleep apnea.  I was also treated for several sinus infections during this same time.  Along with the sinus infections, I began to experience blockage in the nasal cavity.  It often switches from the left to the right side and so on, usually completely blocking that side of my nose.  Also, when I was having my wisdom teeth removed, the oral surgeon said he thought I had a cyst(or something) in my sinus's.  This leads me to my three main questions:

1.  Can nasal polyps be seen on x-ray's?
2.  Does this sound like allergic rhinitis with polyps?
3.  Is there any information or studies pertaining to the interaction between Allergic Rhinitis with polyps and sleep apnea?

Thank you,
David
-8 Comments Post a Comment
David,

If you do a "Google" search for Allergic Rhinitis and sleep apnea it will return several articles about regarding describing links between Hay Fever (Allergic Rhinitis) and Obstructive Sleep Apnea.  

I have chronic allergic rhinitis and confirmed moderate (bordering on severe) obstructive sleep apnea.  The allergic rhinitis really aggravates the sleep apnea condition. I cannot wear my CPAP mask when my nasal passage completely close.

I cannot tell you if polyps will show up on a regular x-ray; however I've had cyst in my sinus passages show up on a CT scan.  ENT did not remove the cyst, because he thought there was a good chance it would go away on its on... that was over 10 years ago and it does not bother me.  

You may want to consider seeing an ENT (Otolaryngologist) to rule out structural things that can contribute to the sleep apnea - although surgery may not be in the cards for a case of mild sleep apnea.  I'm not a doctor - just another Veteran and long-time suffer of everything you listed.  

Good luck,

Bob