Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Allergic to Water

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Allergic to Water

Have you ever heard of anyone being allergic to water? My condition has been called Idopathic (sp) Anaphylactic. This condition always followed drinking water out of a houshold tap.  It has happened also on only a couple occassions drinking bottled water.
At first the doctors would tell me there is no way I could be having the reaction to water - although they would say it was something I was ingesting.  My tounge, mouth and lips, eyes, throat - everything swells.  One Doctor finally contacted our local water authority to check on additives, but could find nothing significant.  I moved to a new home seven years ago and have been drinking water from the tap until a couple months ago when I had a severe reaction that ended up with me in the emergency room.  So now I'm back to drinking bottled water.  I do not have a reaction to water used to make coffee, or to boil vegatables etc.  My other allergies are cats, dust and I had a positive allergic reaction to mold when I was tested many years ago.  The times I become most concerned are times when I get a mild reaction to bottled water - the only water I drink. I carry an epi pen just in cast, but am terrified to use it.  Where can I find more information on Water Allergies?
Water makes up the vast majority of your body and most of the foods you eat.  If you have associated drinking water with a reaction, most likely this is due to some chemical in the water.  This could be a chemical that is intentionally added to the water such as a purifier.  It could also be a chemical that is unintentionally added such as a pesticide.  If you drink bottled water and only get reactions on infrequent occasions, it is most likely not related to the water, but to some other factor.  I would suggest seeing a board certified allergist to evaluate the many causes of the symptoms you have described.  This specialist would be able to help you find if there are any identifiable causes, which may have nothing to do with allergy.  If there are no easily identified causes, then the cause is labeled idiopathic.  This is another way of saying that the cause is unknown.

If you are having swelling that effects your breathing in any way, the EpiPen
apparently Montel just did a show about this on Feb. 10th.  You could try contacting the show to get info on who the patients doctor was.

good luck
A related discussion, Water allergies was started.