Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Allergy Disorder Mucus in Nose,throat,Lungs

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I am sufferring from Allergy disorder.
I always have mucus congestion in nose,throat,lungs . I also have mucus secretions in throat.My voice is very weak throughout day.
There are 3 things which increase the mucus production rapidly - Food, Sleep, Cold Weather.  After eating food the mucus congestion increase as well as mucus secretion increases and my voice decreases. I am unable to talk even with the person sitting close to me.
In general I have to put lot of effort for speaking and my voice starts decreasing if i continuosly speak for 5 mins.

I am taking ayurvedic medicines and it has decreased mucus production to 60%.After taking ayurvedic medicine more than 2 years.

I am confused whether i need to continue with the ayurvedic medicine  or see an allergist doctor.

Also I have been to ENT Doctor and he did not found anything. Just he mentioned it is allergic response.But he asked to go to Speech theraphist for voice improvement.  But I am confused if it is allergy disorder how will speech doctor help me.
It would be important for your doctors to determine the source(s) of your mucous.  The source could be anywhere from your sinuses, above, to your lungs, below. You mention that the ENT specialist “did not find anything” but suggested that the cause was allergic.  That statement would be entirely credible if he/she ordered a CT Scan of your sinuses and that was normal. The ENT’s statement would not indicate that your lungs were not the source.

I am pleased that the Ayurvedic Meds have given you 60% relief.  You should check with the person who recommended these “drugs” to determine if there are any risks associated with the long-term use of these substances.

It would be desirable to, not only discover the source of the mucous, but if possible to strive for 100% relief.  The addition of conventional medication and/or allergy “shots” might allow for that and so you should consider consultation with an Allergist.

I suspect that the excessive mucous is responsible for your speech disorder.  This could result in irritation of the vocal  cords, and/or inappropriate use of the cords.  For the latter, speech therapy could be helpful.

Good luck.

For those unfamiliar with Ayurveda or Ayurvedic Medication, the following, from the University of Maryland Medical Center.

What is Ayurveda?
Considered by many scholars to be the oldest healing science, Ayurveda is a holistic approach to health that is designed to help people live long, healthy, and well balanced lives. The term Ayurveda is taken from the Sanskrit words ayus, meaning life or lifespan, and veda, meaning knowledge. It has been practiced in India for at least 5,000 years and has recently become popular in Western cultures. The basic principle of Ayurveda is to prevent and treat illness by maintaining balance in the body, mind, and consciousness through proper drinking, diet, and lifestyle, as well as herbal remedies.

Read more: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/ayurveda-000348.htm#ixzz1tXqvif91

Thanks David

I just went for 3 times to ENT. So may be he was just checking whether it can be cured with the medicines. He juct checked my throat. He did not do any CT scan.

Regarding the spech theraphy just got confused. If its related to mucus then how can the treatment is helpful. Like unless the mucus does not go completely there cant be improvement in voice.

I am confused whether to go to allergist. I think if the mucus build up is due to weaker immunity like frequent viral infections then going to allergist may not help. There are so many causes of mucus like dust alergies (allergies), cold allergy, food allergy . Can allergist treatment help me in all the cases. Please provide more information on the allergist treatment.It should not happen that after allergy treatment I am not satisfied and I once again go for ayurvedic treatment.
There are so many treatments available for allergy like we also have homeopathy.I am confused which one should be started.