Respiratory Disorders Community
Also having advair withdrawl(withdrawal) symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I have had several problems with advair such as thrush and irregular heart beat. Also, my endocrinologist suggested that my osteopinia (sp?) could be related to advair use but it's just one possible culprit.  I'm a runner and just finished a marathon and got thrush again from advair so decided I wanted to at least take a break from it.  Well, it's been a few days and I have never had such breathing problems before I used advair, I have a constant headache and I'm exhausted. I did taper for about a week.  I want to know why there are no warnings about withdrawl (withdrawal) and why everyone seems to adament that people with mild asthma be on all these medications that are causing me more problems than my mild asthma ever did?

This discussion is related to Advair Withdrawal Symptoms?.
I was put on Advair 250 twice a day for acid reflux-related asthma. I used it for about four weeks before I decided to quit it cold turkey, as I gained a lot of weight from the steroids and have never weighed so much in my life. The day after I quit it I got really bad withdrawal symptoms--particularly, my asthma became the WORST it's ever been in my life. My chest felt as if it had concrete poured into it. It got so bad that I was waking up every couple of hours and couldn't get any sleep. I was tempted to go back on the Advair, as I was using my albuterol inhaler every two hours, but I kept reminding myself that it was just the Advair causing extreme withdrawal symptoms and that it would get better. As I was determined to stick it out and quit the steroids, I endured three days of terrible withdrawal symptoms.

Now, I'm happy to say that I'm no longer dependent on Advair and I'm back to my normal self. After about 3 days of breathing hell (which is known as "rebound inflammation"), everything normalized. I'm back to the rare usage of albuterol and don't use steroid inhalers at all. I'm posting this to let people know that quitting Advair can be rough for the first few days, but it DOES get better. I recommend quitting on a Friday, so you'll have recovered from the withdrawal by Monday and the start of the work week.