Alternative medication for prednisone
I was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis in 1995 following having acute respiratory distress.  I have been on prednisone since my diagnosis in varying doses.  I have been on a maintenance of 10 mgs. for quite a while.  I recently changed pulmonary doctors and they ordered a ct scan.  It showed fibrosis, bronchiactisis, blebs, bullae, some areas of emphysema.  I had a bunch of blood work and from that my doctor said that the sarcoid is no longer active.  However, I have something that is causing inflammation in my lungs.  I am always short of breath when I'm not just sitting and doing nothing.  I also have been diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome.  I had a positive ANA test.  I am wondering if the Sjogren's might have something to do with my lung problems as well.  My doctors don't seem to know a lot about Sjogren's.  I have read that Sjogren's can cause lung cysts.  My question is do you know of any other treatment that would work for my lung inflammation besides the prednisone.  I would really like to get off that med.  Thanks.
The Yoga Pranayam (breathing exercises) will  help with lung  problems.As you are getting short of breath, start with Anulom Vilom only for the first week and when you can do this comfortably, start with the others.
Build up your timing gradually(say from 1 minute). If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume later.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 10 to 30 minutes twice a day. Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times

Once you are better, continue the pranayam once a day.
Be patient, as the benefits will show over a period of weeks.Only by doing you will benefit and feel good because you are helping your body.
After 3 months you will know get to know how the body feels, and can decide whether you still need any medication.