Always coughing after a cold
Hi everyone. I've never posted here before, but I thought I'd give it a shot because I'm really at a loss as to what to do. Every time I get a cold, I get over it over the next few days, but this horrible cough lingers for what seems like forever. I've had a cough for over a month before.  It's usually a dry cough, and it's accompanied by a stuffy nose and sometimes a sore throat. I get these cold a couple times a year, and it's very inconvenient because I do a lot of singing. I didn't used to be like this--it started my freshman year of high school and has continued since then (I'm now a junior.) Is there any explanation for this? Everyone else I know gets rid of their cold in a few days with no "leftover" symptoms. Also, sometimes the cough gets really drastic-- I have coughed so hard that I've vomited before. I'm very hesitant to go to the doctor because I've had a lot of health problems this year and I don't want to cost my family more money or seem like a hypochondriac. Do you have any suggestions?

Laurissa

Many people have a cough long after a cold is past so that may not be that unusual.

Another thought is that you develop a secondary bacterial infection from the cold, either sinus or bronchial.  Your body seems to be fighting that pretty well, but since it is so bothersome for you, you may want to see a dr the next time this happens.

My last thought is illness induced asthma.  The cold causes inflamation in the lungs that makes the cough hang on longer than most people.  Again, you should see your dr for evaluation after you next cold.

Take care and feel better.