Respiratory Disorders Community
Always coughing after a cold
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Always coughing after a cold

Hi everyone. I've never posted here before, but I thought I'd give it a shot because I'm really at a loss as to what to do. Every time I get a cold, I get over it over the next few days, but this horrible cough lingers for what seems like forever. I've had a cough for over a month before.  It's usually a dry cough, and it's accompanied by a stuffy nose and sometimes a sore throat. I get these cold a couple times a year, and it's very inconvenient because I do a lot of singing. I didn't used to be like this--it started my freshman year of high school and has continued since then (I'm now a junior.) Is there any explanation for this? Everyone else I know gets rid of their cold in a few days with no "leftover" symptoms. Also, sometimes the cough gets really drastic-- I have coughed so hard that I've vomited before. I'm very hesitant to go to the doctor because I've had a lot of health problems this year and I don't want to cost my family more money or seem like a hypochondriac. Do you have any suggestions?

Laurissa