Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Anemia/Shortness of breath

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Anemia/Shortness of breath

I am a 42 year old female.  I was diagnosed in July of this year as being severely anemic and deficient in Vitamin D.  I was started on Vitamin D and Iron prescriptions since then.  What prompted this wast extreme fatigue and shortness of breath.  Had chest X-ray that was negative and it was the blood work that showed the rest.  My question is....it is now December...5 months since this was discovered...and I still get very short of breath.  My fatigue isn't quite as bad, but I still get more tired than normal.  Shouldn't I feel better by now?  Still taking the supplements as well as Vit C to help with iron absorption.  I tested negative for gastro bleeds and Celiac as well as had a uterine biopsy that was negative.  My on/Gyn put me on birth control pills because he felt my Amelia was likely due to my heavy menstrual bleeding.  I am concerned by my shortness of breath that I still experience.  Is there anything else I should be checked for?
Your concern regarding shortness of breath is warranted.  Some of it could be on the basis of persistent severe anemia but unless your red blood cell count is quite low, that is unlikely to be the sole cause of “extreme fatigue and shortness of breath.”  It is reassuring that your chest X-ray was “negative” but I suspect that some other body function may be responsible for your severe symptoms.  Possibilities could include abnormal heart function, lung disease not evident on a plain chest X-ray (for example, asthma) and blood clots to the lungs.  I mention these three as possibilities, not because I believe that you have any one of them.

My recommendation is that you discuss with your doctor the possibilities I’ve mentioned and perhaps others.  What I am saying that unless your red cell count  is 50% of normal or less, it would be wise to search for other causes of your symptoms.

At age 42 you should not have to live with your current symptoms.

Good luck