Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Antibiotics problems?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Antibiotics problems?

I went to the doctor the other day because of post-nasal drip (followed by cold and sore throat on multiple ocassions), and she diagnosed me with sinus infection and put me on amoxicillin with clavulanic acid (875+125 dosage). However when the time came for me to take my pill, I realized I was unable to swallow it, even if I break it in half. I couldn't swallow partially because of my post-nasal drip and partially because of my problem with swallowing larger pills (I have no such problems with smaller pills). I cut it in eight pieces and ingested them. My post-nasal drip was almost completely eliminated after the first dose. However, later that day I learned that the pills were coated and that they shouldn't be cut. I went back to the doctor and she gave me Amoxicillin 1000mg oral suspension. I was doing fine but after 4 days on my new pills post-nasal drip resurfaced. I also had unilateral headache and some neck ache first days of my new pills. I would like to know what, in your opinion, caused my symptoms to return? Could it be that I reacted positively to Amoxil-Clav and me being symptom free was due to its residual effect? Could it be that bacteria became resistant to Amoxicillin? I was taking 2000mg Amoxicilin a day. I also made quite a break when changing medication. I took Amox-Clav pills at 9 in  the evening, and next dose of antibiotic at 2pm another day. I know that symptoms like post-nasal drip can linger for a while, but what troubles me is the fact it initially responded to treatment and returned after 4 days. and the fact that I might have been ok, had I stuck to the original treatment. I also thought that post-nasal drip might be due to food allergy(to soy), but after antibiotic helped the symptom  I became a bit suspicious. Post nasal drip is very distracting and my doctor doesn't even seem to listen. I would really appreciate advice on how to proceed. Should I see another doctor? Should I be put on second course of (perhaps different) antibiotics?
The return of your symptoms after 4 days,  may be because your post nasal drip may be on an allergic basis rather than infectious.  Bacteria would not become resistant to the antibiotic over such a short period of time.  We can’t say for sure that the antibiotic helped because post-nasal drip, for which there is a number of causes, can often vary spontaneously day by day or even week by week.

You note that your doctor “doesn’t seem to listen.”  If that truly is the case, you may want to see another doctor or contact the first doctor’s or his/her nurse to report what has happened. With either doctor your question should be how you should proceed from this point.  

Good luck.
I forgot to mention that I am on 7 day antibiotic course( finishing today), meaning that symptoms returned in the middle of treatment.
Thank you very much for your advice, it has been very helpful. At least I know that doctor's decision to discontinue antibiotics (of any sort) was, most likely, correct one. Thanks once again.