I went to the doctor the other day because of post-nasal drip (followed by cold and sore throat on multiple ocassions), and she diagnosed me with sinus infection and put me on amoxicillin with clavulanic acid (875+125 dosage). However when the time came for me to take my pill, I realized I was unable to swallow it, even if I break it in half. I couldn't swallow partially because of my post-nasal drip and partially because of my problem with swallowing larger pills (I have no such problems with smaller pills). I cut it in eight pieces and ingested them. My post-nasal drip was almost completely eliminated after the first dose. However, later that day I learned that the pills were coated and that they shouldn't be cut. I went back to the doctor and she gave me Amoxicillin 1000mg oral suspension. I was doing fine but after 4 days on my new pills post-nasal drip resurfaced. I also had unilateral headache and some neck ache first days of my new pills. I would like to know what, in your opinion, caused my symptoms to return? Could it be that I reacted positively to Amoxil-Clav and me being symptom free was due to its residual effect? Could it be that bacteria became resistant to Amoxicillin? I was taking 2000mg Amoxicilin a day. I also made quite a break when changing medication. I took Amox-Clav pills at 9 in the evening, and next dose of antibiotic at 2pm another day. I know that symptoms like post-nasal drip can linger for a while, but what troubles me is the fact it initially responded to treatment and returned after 4 days. and the fact that I might have been ok, had I stuck to the original treatment. I also thought that post-nasal drip might be due to food allergy(to soy), but after antibiotic helped the symptom I became a bit suspicious. Post nasal drip is very distracting and my doctor doesn't even seem to listen. I would really appreciate advice on how to proceed. Should I see another doctor? Should I be put on second course of (perhaps different) antibiotics?
The return of your symptoms after 4 days, may be because your post nasal drip may be on an allergic basis rather than infectious. Bacteria would not become resistant to the antibiotic over such a short period of time. We can’t say for sure that the antibiotic helped because post-nasal drip, for which there is a number of causes, can often vary spontaneously day by day or even week by week.
You note that your doctor “doesn’t seem to listen.” If that truly is the case, you may want to see another doctor or contact the first doctor’s or his/her nurse to report what has happened. With either doctor your question should be how you should proceed from this point.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.