Respiratory Disorders Community
Anxiety - Hard time breathing/tight chest/throat.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Hey, I'm 21 and was diagnosed with anxiety about a month ago. It started with this pressure on my chest, it terrified me so I went to Urgent Care and was diagnosed then made an appointment with my Doctor, and she prescribed Paxil for me. I was tested, you know, EKG, Blood work, all the fun stuff and my oxygen is at 100%, but I still feel terrible. I know that I'm healthy, but it still feels like something is terribly wrong. My throat is always tight, and I feel this constant pressure/tightness in my chest. All the time, it never goes away. I've talked to a few people, and they say it takes a couple months to go away. Has this happened/is happening to anyone else? I had this crazy fear that something was terribly wrong with me, but in the past month I've been to Urgent care three times, my Doctor three times, and the ER once. They all say I'm fine. It's just really scary...and everyone says that it's all in my head, but it's terrifying. I just want to talk to someone else who has been through it too, or is going through it. Please.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms of hyperventilation and chest tightness could be attributed to Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome. It is characterized by hyperventilation for no apparent reason, frequent yawning, palpitations, dizziness, sweating, fainting, anxiety and cold sweats. Continue your medications. In addition you could practice breathing exercises and good relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I went to er about every month for a year. I eventually went to a lung doctor who did a bronoscopy and I had food pnemonia (pneumonia) and a collaped lung that must have healled up. My doctor thought I was having anxiety attacks and wanted to put me on medicine also before I went to the lung doctor because the typed up papers for the chest xrays did not show up the pnemonia (pneumonia). Also I had a friend who went to er several times and the doctors said he was having anxiety attacks. He passed a stress test with the heart doctor as well as EKG but finally the heart doctor did find that he needed a stent put in. My friend told me to be persistant. I have other problems where the doctors think its all in my head and it can get frustranting. But eventually they find out what the problem is. Its hard to keep the faith. Relaxation techniques are good. When in dobt seek medical help.
I have the same issues, my doctors kept telling me its in my head, I have been to the doctor 8 times, 3 times er, and 1 time to urgent care, all of them said im normal, im getting sick of it.