Respiratory Disorders Community
Any correlation between pleurisy and TB

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Any correlation between pleurisy and TB

I had childhood TB and have had no reoccurence since.  I'm now 59.  I have, however, had pleurisy three time since 2007.  Usually I'm sleep deprived but with very few other symptoms--mild cough/cold.  Is the pleurisy likely caused by scarring from my old TB?  If so, what can I do about it?
Tags: Pleurisy
Pleurisy is a symptom and not a disease.  Yes healed TB can cause pleural retraction and pleuritic pain.  Unfortunately if this is the cause there is little to do except treat the symptoms as the scarred process that causes it represents a healed TB state and can't be reversed
Pleurisy is caused by an infection i think in the lining between the lungs if i remember right it's caused by a virus and i think is usually treated by a rx steroid and maybe something for pain if it hurts bad enough not sure if it has any connection to tb or not
Avatar n tn
Dear Dr. Wilson,
Thank you for yourprofessional advice.  That's precisely what I needed to hear.  My doctors have put me through numerous tests, with no other findings than latent TB.