Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Any help would be great

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Any help would be great

I have just been informed that my COPD has progressed to Emphysema,I'm 51 yrs old.I have been sleeping with a C-PAP machine now for 2 yrs. with pressure at 17.In the last 2 mo. I have had 1 big heart attack and at least 2 mild strokes and the doctors think possibly 3. I am set to see a lung specialist soon at the VA and also have nero phsycosis testing done. 4 yrs. ago I was working on a car and it fell trapping me from the waist up under it,I have been smoking for about 38 yrs. now and it's one of the hardest things for me to quit.I have also smoked my share of weed for about the same ammount of time,but have quit it 1 yr. ago,My Cholesteral is currently at 291,Triglycerides are 207,my HDL is 26 and LDL's is at 228. I also have an enlarged fatty liver . My question is at this time is what should I be expecting in the near furture? How do I prolong the enevitable? I also know that my CO is unussually high.
Yours is a complex and serious situation.  The accident you had sounds dreadful.  I know that it can be extremely difficult to stop smoking but you must stop, if there is to be any hope of slowing the progression of both the emphysema and the coronary and peripheral arterial disease that caused your heart attack and strokes.  You and your doctors must also focus on your metabolic status, specifically the lipid elevation.  The combination of elevated cholesterol and abnormalities of the other lipids you cite combined with the vascular disease at a fairly young age and combined with an enlarged fatty liver suggests the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus.  In addition a chronically elevated blood carbon monoxide level can significantly reduce the amount of oxygen available to your whole body, especially the oxygen available to your heart muscle.

If you continue to smoke and your blood lipids remain abnormal, you are likely to experience more heart disease and strokes.  On the other hand, should you stop smoking and lower your lipids, you could increase your longevity significantly.  You will not be able to do this on your own.  You will need both family and physician support.

Good luck.