Respiratory Disorders Community
Any suggestions on Crackling Sounds heard during inhalation only??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Hi!  I am having crackling sounds on inspiration, none on exhalation.  Lung Fxn tests were all normal, but CT-Scan shows predominant peribronchovascular patches of ground glass. a few associated with tiny peribronchovascular nodules.  Modest air trapping, especially in the right middle lobe.  Radiologist says...an isolated subsegmental branch of the right lower lobe posterior basal bronchus looks distorted.  Heart is normal in size, the main pulmo artery is large by 31mm, the ascending aorta is 29mm in diameter at the same level.  Main symptoms are: high pitch sound or dull sound cough, non-productive (no sputum, except when I have an URI), shortness of breathe, and the feeling that someone is constantly sitting on my chest.  I feel like I'm drowning at time, I only have problems on inhalation (exhalation is completely normal as far as I can tell)  When I inhale, I can't ever get a big breath in because it feels like I'm out of air space!  I have been sick frequently with URI's or bronchitis for the last 2yrs.  It is quite weird though, because I can be fine one day and breathe normally, then suddenly I wake up one day and I can't breathe and I cough constantly throughout the day.  I have also been horse ever since this **** started.  I have smoked in the past, a pack in approx 2-5 days for a total of 10-15 yrs intermittenly.  I quit smoking in Dec 2006 and I became sick with the flu about 2months later and I have never gotten rid of this **** since then!!  In 2007, I had x-rays which showed cob-web white looking stuff, plus the Radio said it was scattered reticular nodules and a 1.8cm growth.  My MD sent me for a follow up CT-Scan which again came back showing scattered reticular nodules and a mass on the right upper lobe.  Got referred to Pulmo and he immediately performed bronchoscopy, yet did not take a biopsy.  Only did a lavage and sent to pathology, which nothing ever grew in the lab.  Final dx:  You don't have asthma or COPD because FX test did show some abnormalities, but nothing major he said, but I did not respond to the albuterol during the test, I am overweight, have sleep apnea, and have allergies because he said my sinuses looked really red and inflammed.  He did state that I had red lesions in both lungs, but did not see any kind of mass and was not sure WHAT these lesions were, but said,"I don't think we need to worry about them for now."  Gave me a script for allergy meds, nexium if it was indigestion that I didn't know I was having, plus asked me to come back in 3 mths to re-run CT-Scan.  I went back to my MD and she thought his DX were not right, so she sent me to another Pulmo, only due to $ I had to weight until I was able to afford one.  Got county assistance waited 9mths to be able to be seen.  I still continue with the shortness of breath and have just learned to live with it, but the crackling is becoming worse and it sounds like crackling wood in a fireplace.  My CT-Scan was done 9mths after the first one and nodules are still there, but now there is also the ground-glass, air trapping with main problems in the middle and lower right lobe.  This new Pulmo referred me to a ENT doc so they can scope my sinuses, vocal cords for polyps, tumors etc. for the horseness, then he said after this I will have another CT-Scan (eventhough I had one in August 2008) and if anything has changed or if nodules are still there he'll decide then if he should biopsy??????  Meantime, I still can't breathe, I feel like I'm losing my mind and the albuterol does not help.  I have taken Advair, Spariva, I have a nebulizer with .83% albuterol, prednisone and these have not helped.  Decadron injections help for about 1-2 weeks then the cough/shortness of breath comes back.  I also have high blood pressure, but with 2 x 100mg of Metoprolol it is controlled to normal.  I am 5'6" and weigh 260, with no other medical conditions.  I have been steady gaining weight by like 10pds a month, my doc says it could be my psych meds that I take for my Bi-polar Disorder (Zoloft, Lamictal) and the previous predisone that I was given.  Please help!!  Can anyone give me some guidance or suggestions of what this could be??  I thank you in advance for your time!

This discussion is related to Crackling in Throat.
Ya I think u may have pulmonary fibrosis i have it with simular symtoms (symptoms)