Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Asmanex for Asthma

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Asmanex for Asthma

I recently was put on Asmanex for my asthma to replace Advair 500/50.  I seemed to  be irritated all the time by the powder of Advair , it would cause me to have major coughing and mucus spells.. I understand that Asmanex, also is a powder but it seems a lot finer when I used it the first time and it  hasen't irritated my throat and airways as of yet. My insurance co won't pay for it so I was given samples and told to use it in the AM 2puffs.  Is this the normal dosage ?  Do most people respond well to it? All input appreciated.  Thanks.
Since you were using an inhaled steroid, the recommended dose of Asmanex
Also, I wonder is it safe to be on a pred burst starting at 60mg and down to none for a 10 day course whil being on Asmanex?? I will be on vacation and don't want to make my self worse by having too much pred in my system.  Anyone on both at the same time???
I was on a dose pack of Steroids and using Advair at the same time, which is also a steroid like Asmanex. Both were prescribed by my physician.
Thank you to the nurse for the information on how to take this inhaler.  I was told to take in the morning, however, not by the Dr. but unfortunately I was given bumm info on when to take it.  So, definitely I will take my 2 puffs at night from now on.  Why should it be taken in the evening when using 2 puff's?  Just curious.
i've been using asmanex for almost two years now and have benefited greatly from it. the last two times i finished up all my dozes however i was curious to see what the system of the twist inhaler was so i cracked open the inhaler. i was very suprised by the amount of left over powder i found in it when i emptied the inhaler. i took the leftovers to the pharmacist who couldn't explain why, despite my correct usage of the inhaler, there was still so much leftover powder. i just cracked open my second inhaler this morning and again, almost a teaspoon full leftover. what is that mean? is it that i'm not inhaling the correct dozage b/c the twister is malfunctioning? do others ever tried to crack open to see what's inside?

thanks,
A related discussion, Advair vs. Asmanex was started.